SPOT Metering, Manual Mode on NEX-7

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jul 7, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    NEX-7 + hand held Canon 80-200/4.0-L @ 200mm
    Manual Mode: ISO400, 1/200, F4.0, using SPOT Metering

Doe was about 50 feet away walking towards me.
    A lot of dark background…put the SPOT Metering right on her face and shot

ORIGINAL PHOTO

CROPPED UP

• Like Like x 5
  2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    This “Spot Metering” feature works really well on small targets like birds against strong contrasting backgrounds…thought the colors turned out great on the Robin, and even the worms in it's beak. With a few birds constantly in the back yard it’s like taking a class every day, experimenting with one feature or another…sure helps accelerate along the learning curve.

ORIGINAL

CROPPED

ORIGINAL

CROPPED

• Like Like x 3
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I only trust the histogram anyway. When DRO is turned off, it is quite reliable. So you can simply expose for the highlights on the histogram and get a spot-on exposed photo.

• Like Like x 3
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I was just adding some photos to my thread about "Spot Metering"...

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    In a thread about a metering method, shouldn't it be appropriate to discuss the pros and cons of different methods to meter?

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...not in my opinion. If you want to start an open thread on all sorts of metering methods, go for it....in fact, go start it right now in the "Open Discussion" category.

I established this thread about "Spot Metering" as it relates to Nature / Wildlife photography, to possibly have whatever discussion, tips, etc, there might be about using Spot Metering for that purpose...

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, seems like I got the title wrong. Please make it (the topic you want to talk about) a little bit more clear in the title next time, because it's not always clear in which category a thread was posted in. Just use "Using spot metering for wildlife photography", for example, and nobody will get confused. ;)

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another test of 'Spot Metering':

“Spot Metered” the Female Cardinal is this mass of darker surroundings...Full Scene then Cardinal Cropped up

• Like Like x 1
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I thought the large areas of light & dark in this scene were tailor made for ‘Spot Metering’, and it seemed to have exposed / preserved the Robin’s colors just right.

1) ORIGINAL SCENE
    2) CROPPED SCENE

• Like Like x 1
  10. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Wow! Looking great! I use Spot Metering on my Canon, but Haven't worked on it with my NEX. Getting some crazy readings lately, so maybe I should start!

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My biggest disappointment with Manual Mode and Spot Metering is that I didn't try them sooner !!!
    What a difference they've made...here's a cute little shot of a Robin preening / fluffing out / shaking out on a branch.
    First image is the original scene showing it about 50 feet away in some odd background lighting.
    Put the 'spot' right on him and think the colors turned out great, perfectly realistic.
    Second shot is cropped up to show the comical fluffed up appearance in more detail.

Canon FD 300/4.0-L + NEX-7, Manual Mode, Spot Metering

• Like Like x 3
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Quite an example of 'spot metering' at the local University Arboretum this afternoon.

( Canon FD 200mm/4.0 MACRO Lens + Nex-7, Manual Mode / Spot Metering )

• Like Like x 2
  13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    A pretty decent "Spot Metering" shot on a pair of pretty 'Carolina Wrens' in intense sunlight against a dark / black deep woods background.
    Canon FD 300/4.0-L + NEX-7 in Manual Mode

• Like Like x 1
  14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Pretty good color & detail on a beautiful Female Cardinal that was also shot with ’Spot Metering’ in intense sunlight against a dark / black deep woods background.
    Canon FD 300/4.0-L + NEX-7 in Manual Mode

• Like Like x 1
  15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Canon FD 300/4.0-L + NEX-7.....White Breasted Nuthatch grabbing a seed

• Like Like x 1
  16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Stepped into the kitchen to pour another cup of coffee this morning and about 50 yards deep into dark almost black woods, I saw a few green leaves in a tiny shaft of sunlight that somehow made it down through the trees.
    Tailor made for Spot Metering, I grabbed the NEX-7 with my Canon FDn 300/4.0-L on it, and got off a couple shots before the shaft of light disappeared.
    (you can see a hint of 'purple fringing' in that drop on the end of a leaf)

• Like Like x 3
  17. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Some very nice examples you have here. Well done.

Tony

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Appreciate the feedback...usually the real enjoyment from any hobby for me is the journey up the learning curve of all the different aspects of it...and learning when to use / getting the results from...this Spot Metering feature has been great, very satisfying as most of the subjects I tend to shoot are small anyway.
    As noted earlier, the related challenge is to remember to switch back to central or full view metering for those kinds of shots...so far, so good.