Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by blb, Jun 10, 2012.

1. blb

blb TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    Common wisdom seems to be that, as great at the nex system may be, it won't work well for sports (think high school soccer, lacrosse, bike racing, etc.) for which one would need a dslr. I've found stuff online from a guy using a Nex 7 w/manual focus zooms to shoot softball and tennis, but haven't seen much else. Are any of you shooting sports with your nex? Any thoughts?
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I don't shoot sports so take this with a grain of salt. Would you dig a well with a table spoon? Drive a rail road spike with a tack hammer? Would you haul 1000 pounds of gravel in your Yugo? No? Why not? Because you pick the proper tool for the job.

I'm not saying you can't shoot sports with the NEX, if it's your only camera go for it. But, if you have the resources, get a dslr and do it right. Doesn't have to be a top of the line model, just a competent one with a good lens.

Leave the NEX for things it is better suited for. JMO YMMV. :)
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I have used this set up for sports shotting and it works fine under the right conditions.

However with the kit lenses the focusing is a bit slow, especially under low light conditions for high activity shooting. I have a manual lens that is quite a bit quicker and works great for these kinds of shots.
  4. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Dave can you post an example, I'm curious. Ta