Soviet / Russian lenses for NEX 6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Eugg, May 10, 2014.

1. Eugg

Eugg TalkEmount Rookie

May 10, 2014
    I am going to buy a NEX 6 to try or to replace my EPL5,
    mostly use MF lenses

- which soviet lenses do you recommend to buy?
    need something around 28mm, 50mm and 100 -150mm

I got

Industar 69
    Industar 26m 50mm

- is M39 mount more preferable because a smaller adapter (then m42)?

-what do you think about

Industar-50 50 mm f/ 3.5

Industar-50 50 mm f/ 3.5

like the small size, is any problem with using these lenses on NEX?

- is there a dedicated "Zoom In" button on NEX body for easier focusing (like on Olympus)?

I mostly shoot abstract, nature, urban etc:

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Look at Industar 61 LD, Helios 44 (44-7 is reputedly best of these), Jupiter 11 and Jupiter 37A. I am looking for a cheap Industar 69 at the moment.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    To answer your second question, yes, but focus peaking is faster.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    It depends and takes practice.

Right off the bat, Manual Focusing is going to take time and probably frustrate you. So don't depend on it for important functions.

However, once you get used to it, it can be just as quick or quicker than Auto Focusing.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    You have to be careful buying m39 mount lenses as there are two versions. Version 1 is the Leica rangefinder mount (L39 or LTM- 28.8mm registration distance) and the Version 2 is a SLR lens (Zenit I believe- 45.46 registration distance) mount. The Russians made both. Well., there's three if you count the Leica Visoflex (91.3 registration distance).

While the thread pitch is identical, the registration distance is different, the SLR mount being larger. If you put a M39 SLR lens on a Leica adapter it will not focus properly. If you put a rangefinder lens on a M39 SLR adapter it will act as a macro lens and not reach infinity focus.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    And there is even fourth one, Chaika. Industar 69 must be modified for infinity focus if you use it in M39 mount.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I have the Helios 44m-7 and I can attest that it is better than the sum of it's parts. It has that swirly bokeh look the 44's are famous for but it also has multi-coating which means better flare control. I could part with some of my manual focus lenses fairly easily, but never the Helios. I will have that years from now. Btw - the center is EXTREMELY sharp.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are lots of legacy lenses that are much better suited to asp-c cameras than old full frame film cameras. The sweet spot works really well as resolution is fairly good in the center. One of these lenses is Helios 44 while my absolute favorite from Russian lenses is I-61 LD. Jupiter 37A is close to top too.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA

Attached Files: