1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Soviet Lenses on the NEX platform

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Alowisney, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    One of the reasons I got into the NEX platform was for adapted lenses. I kept reading how great they are on the NEX cameras and when I got my NEX 5 I also got a Rainbow Imaging LTM adapter for it. I put the Industar-61 from my Soviet made Fed-2 on it and had a really hard time focusing. After the v3 firmware update it got much easier to use.

Here's the combo with my Gordy's strap attached. The vented hood is a good idea because this lens tends to flare a bit.

DSC07267.JPG

Here's a few sample shots from it.

DSC05017.JPG

DSC05032.JPG

DSC05019.JPG

The Industar-61 is a 50mm f/2.8 with a Leica thread mount, also known as M39. I got mine, along with the Fed-2 it was attached to from an eBay seller in The Ukraine. There are lots of Soviet lenses and cameras for sale on eBay, but, if I had it to do over, I'd buy from a seller here in the US. A seller that I've had good experiences with is Fedka. Before I could use my camera and lens I had to send them both in for service to Fedka, which is common with this eBay cameras and lenses. Fedka is in New York City and does fantastic work. They sell a lot of Soviet lenses for a fair price also, so it's not too cost prohibitive to try out cool old lenses on your NEX!

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Fedka other than just being a satisfied customer.

2. doxborrow

doxborrow New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    Helios 40-2

I don't even know if it is possible with current adapters, but has anyone tried out a Helios 40-2 or the similar Biotar lens on a NEX?

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the Soviet lenses. I'm aware of the varying degree of quality control ones finds with these lenses, but if you find one in good condition they can be excellent lenses especially the Jupiter-3 and Jupiter-8 as well as your Industar-61. I still would like to pull the trigger on a Jupiter-8, but I just haven't done so yet. Like you, I only would consider buying from Fedka.

4. Alowisney

Alowisney TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Macon, GA USA
    I found this on Flickr for the Helios. Looks like a solid performer!

5. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    Just got my adapter for the Industar 50/3.5... this one is on
    an M42 thread. Now all I need is my "7"..... ;-)

4453333399_cbf2d4a622.

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Nice lens Hodad66! I prefer the ones with Russian letters like your one.

I think I've got the vintage lens 'itch' too which is why I decided on the NEX in the first place... but I was thinking more Japanese vintage After purchasing the 5N, a whole new world opened right up in front of me. My curiosity started when I read about other photographers adapting the plastic toy lens 'Holga' but the 5N already has a superb 'Toy Camera' shooting mode... that's when I started reading reviews about the Russian lenses!

I won an auction for an old Zenit camera last week with a Helios 58mm 1:2.0 (44M6). I won't know what condition the lens is until it arrives. Can't wait!

7. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I have both the 50 & the 50-2 and have seen some amazing shots
    from them. My experience hasn't shone that much quality BUTT
    we'll see what the "7" does with this lil gem. :)

8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'm looking forward to see some samples from your lenses guys. I'm quite impressed with the results from Alowisney's copy.

9. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    funny I never looked at the quality of the shots...... I just soak
    up all the kitty love from them.....

10. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I just can't get enough of the rugged handsome good looks of the NEX with vintage lenses!!

I can only imagine the tremendous amount of satisfaction you must be feeling when you use your camera, Alowisney. :)

One of the reasons why I want to use very old lenses is because they are not perfect. I'm hoping to explore using flare itself as part of the image composition so that I can also hopefully end up with a 'vintage' looking photo.

Thank you for sharing!

11. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    zenitet.

My Russian lens has arrived... which came complete with body 3EHNT (Zenit) ET 5b. As it turns out, this type is not as "vintage" as I hoped it would be - as this model is one of the later ones (1991-92) before production stopped. I was hoping for an older lens with russian writing on it. On the plus side however, this Helios 58mm f2 lens (model 44M-6) is supposedly the most prominent and all-round best performer and is apparently based on the 6-element 2.0/58mm pre-war Zeiss Biotar design. I'm assuming it's the same vintage Zeiss design internally, but reincarnated in an 80s looking lens body?

I still have to figure out how to add something inside its adaptor to depress a mount 'pin' permanently so that it can be stopped-down by rotating the external aperture ring. The lens isn't very pretty to look at, but perhaps it's performance might endear me to it.

It should be the film-SLR equivalent of a near 90mm medium telephoto, when mounted on my NEX-5N.

12. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Sounds interesting mate, keep us posted :)

13. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    What's also interesting is the Zenit body... not that it's any good, but it's built like a WWII Tank. If you drop this thing, it won't ruin the camera - it'll ruin the floor!

14. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Maybe it's good that the lens isn't as "vintage" as you thought it would be, I heard that older Russian lenses specially Industar ones contain radioactive diode coatings in their elements.

15. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Too incredibly miniscule (if any) to cause any concerns, according to an article I've read. Cell-phones are what we should be concerned about... apparently...

16. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    That's good to hear.

17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Most older lenses contain radioactive coatings. As do older watches. When all is said and done though, there's nothing to worry about. People get all worked up about radiation. It's all around us all the time. I went to Japan during the crysis and people thought I was nuts because of the radiation. I got about 10 times more radiation on the flight over than I did in Japan.

18. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    That's true, just paranoia through bad experience I guess.

19. DazedProductions

DazedProductions New to TalkEmount

Feb 18, 2012
    I have a radioactive nikon 35mm f1.4 (thorium glass). I once set off a radiation detector in airport security! Caused lots of interest, especially as they didn't speak a word of English (China)

20. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Industar-61

At long last, my INDUSTAR-61 55mm f2.8 Russian lens has finally arrived all the way from the Ukraine!

Industar61.

I haven't had a chance to take photos with it yet, but it's just absolutely gorgeous in black mounted on my NEX-5N (slurp! :p)
    And yessss, it's the one with Russian writing on it! :eek: