Soviet-era prototype cameras stolen in Germany

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bargainguy, Oct 18, 2016 at 7:17 PM.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    Collector's cache of Soviet-era camera prototypes stolen in Germany

Odd story indeed. It seems as though there is a market for Soviet-era camera prototypes out there, but the thief may or may not know it.

Being old enough to not only remember but actually use film cameras, I've handled a Soviet-era camera or two in my day. One of the most vexing was the medium format Kiev 88, loosely modeled after the Hassy 1000F if memory serves. Tripping the shutter made a sound like crunching walnuts. Not exactly encouraging to portrait subjects. "Hey, is your camera broken?"

The 88 bodies were definitely subpar, but the lenses were actually quite nice. I was especially fond of the Arsat 30mm f/3.5 super wideangle, modeled after a Zeiss Distagon. I remember ordering one via ebay that came from China. Got the package, and discovered - quite to my surprise - that rather than being filled with packing material, it came in a cardboard box that was filled with a solid block of a smelly substance (I suspect a type of petroleum product). I had to carefully cut away to get at the lens within, because it was impossible to determine where the petroleum substance ended and the lens began. Took me half an hour to get to the lens without damaging it, and then another few minutes to scrape away all the petroleum gunk from the lens barrel. Ah, those were the days.....
    • Like Like x 3
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Sad. I never quite understand this kind of thing, though. Why carry such costly items in a backpack that can be stolen? I'd carry them in something locked up tight and handcuffed or otherwise attached to my person.