Sorta adapted...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SRHEdD, May 4, 2015.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I use my A58 as a back-up when shooting my A77ii. Never liked that it had a plastic lens mount. I bought a LA-EA4 to use my A-mount lenses on my A7ii, but really don't do that very often since they crop down to 10MP or vignette badly. So, I was looking at that A58, and it occurred to me, I could swap out the lens mounts! Works perfectly! Nice tight fit on both! No focus issues, and it seems no sharpness issues either!

project.

• Like Like x 4
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Wait. What happened here exactly? You mounted what on what?

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, so am I reading that you swapped mounts?

4. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    You can buy both mounting plates for less than the cost of the adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I swapped lens mounts between the A58 and the LA-EA4 to give the one I use more (the A58) a more durable lens mount.

I already had both, so thought I'd give it a try for fitment. It worked, so I ordered a lens mount from a repair shop to keep the adapter whole, and upgrade the camera. No sense in taking down a $350 adapter to upgrade(?) a $250 camera. The mount was $22 shipped, and hasn't arrived yet. Next will be to try to swap the plastic lens mount on the kit zoom to metal! If that works, I may grab the A-mount 35, 50 (1.8), or 85 lenses, all with plastic lens mounts, and cheap. The 85 is actually full frame on my A7ii, I believe.

It was mostly curiosity with a couple of beers and a screwdriver.

6. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    BTW, can you PM me with YOUR source for mounts? I bought from a repair dealer on eBay.

7. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Have seen some on B+H.
    Reminds me of something we say here in the south while driving:"hold my beer honey, I'm gonna try somethin."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    i think Fotodiox sells a stainless steel upgrade plate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    That's E-mount, not A-mount. actually have it on my A6000, was a good addition, and probably got me thinking about this in the first place...

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah, thanks for the correction. I was considering one for my a6000. Good to read it is a worthwhile upgrade.

11. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I'll say what about 50% of people say, it really firmed up the lens mount. The other 50% seem to think it is worthless.

emount.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Here's an update. I looked on ebay for Sony Alpha parts, found a seller with a few mirror boxes, and asked him for a lens flange and screws. If the flange is one-piece like the LA-EA4, that's all you need. SOME metal flanges are two-piece, so you'll also need the black metal backing plate to go with the stainless lens flange. Very similar to the pieces you REMOVE in doing the A7/A6000 Fotodiox flange swap. I received a two-piece flange, and the screws. It took 3 minutes and fit even BETTER than the flange from the LA-EA4. Now my A58 has a proper metal flange for $22.00. A fun little adventure!

A58metal.

• Like Like x 6
  13. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    I just bought an A58 on ebay and noticed when I received it that the lens mount wasn't the standard plastic one and vaguely remembered this thread. I guess the previous owner must have had the same idea.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Looking at the picture again, the heads of the screws are in the exact same positions as my camera, and just like the picture there is just the slightest little scratch on the left side, and my camera came from a dealer in Florida. If he's gotten rid of it lately I might have Steve's camera.

15. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Who'd you get it from?

16. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Calagaz Photo, although it went back this last week, just didn't care for the image quality or the ergonomics. I previously had a Sony A37 and I liked what I got from it better. I've got large hands so I thought the larger camera would be nice, but oddly enough the smaller A37 fit my hand better.

On a side note, I won't be dealing with Calagaz Photo again, after they refunded my money they accused me of purchasing the camera with the intention of returning it after I used it for a little bit, specifically they said I rented it. Very insulting and unprofessional behavior.