Showcase Sony/Zeiss Sonnar FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Yeah, I keep trying to convince myself to sell it and get the Sony 28. With my 55 and 90, it would make a great, light, small, fast trio. But the 35 is smaller and lighter, and you can shoot it wide open without worrying about a razor-thin depth of field. So it really lends itself to spontaneous shots. Shooting raw, with the sensor in the A7/A7II, you can get pretty much anything you can dream of, except a thinner DoF.

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
Yup - I think it's a very under appreciated lens. Very versatile, nice size , great image quality.
I actually prefer it to the 28mm f2 although that's a great lens too.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
I don't crave shallower DoF in this shot. (A stop or two more speed would have been handy for the shutter speed and ISO, though...)
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
I don't crave shallower DoF in this shot. (A stop or two more speed would have been handy for the shutter speed and ISO, though...)
I agree. I prefer a comfortable depth of field and recognizable, contextual out of focus areas. For this reason, I seldom shoot wider than f/2.0 and I prefer f/2.8 or even f/4.0. If I shoot wider than f/2.8, I ask myself to justify it photographically. Instead of using wide aperture, I prefer to depend on Sony's decent high ISO options and IBIS to enable the low light shots.

Razor thin DOF and soft, pastel out of focus blobs of background can be beautiful. But that style is not always our best option.

pdk42

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Paul
Comparing this lens to the Olympus 17mm f1.8 on an E-M1, it's really an excellent performer. In fact, max aperture aside I think it's one of the best 35mm lenses I've used. It's super compact, focuses fast, is extremely sharp and has nice contrast and colour. Its only real weakness is vignetting but since it's easily fixed in PP and I frequently add vignetting anyhow, it's no big problem for me. Here's a few examples from me:

Crossing
by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Notre Dame de la Treille, Lille
by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

The Kid
by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Sucofni

TalkEmount Regular
Ok. It's a quick shot. Bad composition , perhaps a little shutter shock (but I don"t think so).
So I rushed it ! But I could not be bothered to wait any longer !
Venison loin steaks with mashed potatoes and gravy and red currant jelly.
Prepared for me by my favourite customer.
When I'm working at a customers house. I never refuse FOOD !!!!

untitled-1459 by sucofni, on Flickr

Latest posts

Top Bottom