1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 Reviewed at Photozone

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by MAubrey, Dec 17, 2015.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Interesting review. I've been using the NEX-7 + SEL 50mm 1.8 lately for portraits and have been very happy with the results. What would the FE 55mm get me? Certainly sharper, but that's not necessarily a plus for portraits. Downgrade in bokeh and I lose stabilization plus it's pricey. I'm sure I'll move up to FF someday but that focal length doesn't thrill me - I would rather spend that towards the FE 90mm or the Batis 85mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Same here but then I'd rather keep shooting my 90mm Sonnar. 50mm on FF never worked for me either. The 35mm/f1.4 Fujinon is just gathering dust, might as well sell it*. OTOH the 45mm G Planar is my most used lens on the NEX-7, lol.

*thanks for the reminder, fractal.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

The highlights are definitely poor, but if you compare photozone's crops of the front and back focal plane shots, I'd say its a draw.

Still, I hear you. It's never been a question for me. I've never shot APS-C. Just thought it was worth sharing.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I love the FE55 bokeh :cloud-9-039:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I'm a Sonnar junkie too. :thiagree:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Yes, I'm glad you did.

8. ayobreezie

ayobreezie TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 28, 2015
    Chris
    I don't regret picking up this lens at all. Initially wanted it for the A6000, but ended up getting a a7ii as well. Lol. FML. But the bokeh is super smooth. Love it. Haven't taken it off since I bought it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FelixKH

FelixKH TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 8, 2015
    Felix
    The 55 is a great lens. It was the 1st lens a friend loaned to me for a photoshoot and I ended up getting it when I saw one for sale in the local forum. Then I got the Zhong Yi Mitakon 85/1.2 manual lens to accompany the 55.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've tried it a bit on my NEX-7. I was hoping the FE55 might be good enough to match what I can do with an 85mm prime on full frame - alas, it doesn't quite keep up under pixel peeping scrutiny. (I've tried 24mm vs 35mm, 30mm vs 45mm, 35mm vs 50mm and 55mm vs 85mm and it's always this same story. If this of all lenses couldn't buck the trend, I don't know what will.)
    With that in mind, I don't consider this to be the most advisable body/lens investment. For IQ, low light and subject isolation I prefer to use my A7 with a decent legacy 85mm (in my case, Minolta MD 85/2).
    If I were sticking with APS-C I would probably go with the SEL50. (A friend uses one on his A5100 with nice results - very compact and inconspicuous and not too expensive...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    What was disturbing for you exactly? Normally a comparison between equivalent focal length is not a pixel peeping thing (except the resolution is not comparable between a APS-C and a FF sensor). The aperture should be adjusted, too, of course.

An older list of DXOMark presented the following prime lenses for a A6000
    Best prime lenses on the Sony A6000 | DxOMark

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1