• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Sony Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
The lens is definitely capable of some nice images, but doesn't impress me too much when pixel peeping... but maybe I'm just not used to zoom lenses. Idk, sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Maybe I just need to stop down more often.
I've had a total of 6 samples of this lens on my A7, and most of them benefitted from Live View settings set to ON when photographing at f/8 as I usually do; my present copy's sharpness also improves by this measure, it's just not critically sharp at f/8 when Live View settings is set to OFF. It doesn't make a difference wide-open though and I don't know if your A7M2 behaves differently. It's worth a try, I'd say.

Also, focus accuracy is helped by a large focus area. I get the most consistent results when using a large or medium size flexible spot or, when subject matter allows, the wide setting for the AF area. I agree, it's difficult to push this lens to optimal results, but when you succeed the image quality can be excellent provided you keep the focal length between roughly 35mm and 60mm. As universally documented, corner sharpness degrades below 35mm and 70mm is not all that strong either.

sabesh

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Sammy
A7R II - 1/13, F4, ISO 6400

uploadfromtaptalk1441245570789.JPG
   ---            

chorkie-dad

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Bill Logan
Classic lens fantastic detail, picked up every dust spec on the glasses
CWL.JPG
ILCE-7M2    FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS    70mm    f/11.0    1/6s    ISO 400

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Nice portrait.
I like the lens too, I'm happy with the IQ, however it's come under a lot of criticism and some folk don't like it.
I presume it's the f4 version not the f2.8

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
While I like this lens, its bokeh can be a bit distracting sometimes.
S01-20170726-028.jpg
ILCE-7RM2    FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS    70mm    f/8.0    1/80s    ISO 200

Last edited:

Levster

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Chris
There are 3 showcase features for this lens. This seems to be the main one so I'm pasting this here from one of the smaller ones.

# Cross posted from Portraits #

I've recently bought an A7II and 24-70/4 and I’m trying them out on my favourite subject:

View attachment 95189 View attachment 95190 View attachment 95191

runnerpsu

TalkEmount Top Veteran

Iansky

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ian Lloyd-Graham
Despite some of the negative criticism of this lens I am finding it to be a real winner for what I intend to use it for (mainly documentary and street work) and cannot find any reason to complain about performance, size, weight or IQ.

Here are some of my images from it:

Sheila-2_pp-FrameShop.jpg
   ---            
ILG00219-2-FrameShop.jpg
   ---            
ILG00220-2-FrameShop.jpg
   ---            
ILG00229-2-FrameShop.jpg
   ---            
ILG00246-2-FrameShop.jpg
   ---            
ILG00255-2-FrameShop.jpg
   ---            

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Hi guys for everyone has this lens.. Can you take some portrait shots from 50mm to 70 mm (75mm to 100mm equivalent) to f/4 and f/5.6.. I am trying to see how this lens can perform for portraiture work.. since it gives you a bit of the focal lenghts needed for portraiture work

The last photo above (my wife and daughter) was taken at 70mm @f4.0.

Latest threads

Top Bottom