Showcase Sony Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA

dmward

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
David
Here is a candid portrait I made with the lens soon after getting it.

You can see some more images shot with the lens here: http://davidmward.photography/galleries/Personal-Collections/lensgalleries/fe2470/

This is the first native Sony zoom I purchased. When I was shooting Canon I had the three F2.8 L zoom to cover everything from 16 to 200mm. I don't miss the one stop light gathering, especially with OSS on the two shorter Sony zooms.

robbie36

TalkEmount Top Veteran
And again upon reviewing my test pictures of an FE lens I ended up wanting it. Got a used one this morning and boy, do I like it!
So having agonized over whether to buy the 24-70 or 16-35, you simply ended up buying both. It is funny how photography usually ends up that way.

dmward

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
David
When I was shooting with Canon the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 seemed the perfect set of zooms. They were all F2.8.
The same set for Sony are also a great set. F4 with OSS is a great combination.

So having agonized over whether to buy the 24-70 or 16-35, you simply ended up buying both. It is funny how photography usually ends up that way.
:redface: Yep. I tried to use the 16-35 as a standard lens, but I was forever trying to zoom past 35mm.
When I was shooting with Canon the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 seemed the perfect set of zooms. They were all F2.8.
The same set for Sony are also a great set. F4 with OSS is a great combination.
Well, can't really speak from extensive experience having used this set for just 2 days, but I have the feeling you're right and I'll be very happy with it. A future buy will be the FE 55mm when a good deal comes along but for now my budget is depleted :eek-30:, I started to sell off the FE 28-70 as well as a lot of legacy glass to raise some funds again. As Woordworks said, why bother with legacy lenses when you have excellent native glass.

Last edited:

southy

TalkEmount Veteran
Stop with all the nice shots would ya's. Word on the street is this lens is crap. (Insert sarcasm here) :p

dmward

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
David
I was driving to a suburb north of where I live to play bridge and saw what I thought was a Cunningham sportscar in the showroom of a body shop. After we were done playing, I stopped and went in to look more closely. Sure enough it is a Cunningham car. I asked the manager if I could arrange to photograph the car. They contacted the owner and he said yes. So I stopped the following week and spent about 2 and a half hours photographing the car.

Everything was shot with the 24-70 at F8 with an A7II on a tripod. I did a combination of available light altering the shutter speed to get over and under exposed images. For this shot I also did about 30 images with a hybrid Cheetah Light 360 in a 60x90cm umbrella framed softbox to light the car. I moved the light around to get lighting that was similar to what I used to be able to do with a 12x24 foot soft light in the studio.

This is a composite of about 20 images for the car, also an image of the workshop converted to a pencil sketch look using Topaz Impressions plug-in in Lightroom.

Its interesting how digital has changed workflow. In the early 70's I shot a lot of large farm and turf care equipment. We'd spend a day or more getting everything just right. Lighting, cans of dulling spray, lots of polaroid test shots, and finally sheet film transparencies, along with color and B&W negatives. Then, a retoucher would spend another day or two with the image before the advertising manager was satisfied.

Now, I can get the same kind of lighting with a single strobe and 20 - 30 frames, then spend 3 or so hours in Photoshop to come up with an image. Then place it on different backgrounds in a flash.

I will have to spend more time perfecting my retouching technique in Photoshop to do this project justice.

Enjoy!

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
I was driving to a suburb north of where I live to play bridge and saw what I thought was a Cunningham sportscar in the showroom of a body shop. After we were done playing, I stopped and went in to look more closely. Sure enough it is a Cunningham car. I asked the manager if I could arrange to photograph the car. They contacted the owner and he said yes. So I stopped the following week and spent about 2 and a half hours photographing the car.

Everything was shot with the 24-70 at F8 with an A7II on a tripod. I did a combination of available light altering the shutter speed to get over and under exposed images. For this shot I also did about 30 images with a hybrid Cheetah Light 360 in a 60x90cm umbrella framed softbox to light the car. I moved the light around to get lighting that was similar to what I used to be able to do with a 12x24 foot soft light in the studio.

This is a composite of about 20 images for the car, also an image of the workshop converted to a pencil sketch look using Topaz Impressions plug-in in Lightroom.

Its interesting how digital has changed workflow. In the early 70's I shot a lot of large farm and turf care equipment. We'd spend a day or more getting everything just right. Lighting, cans of dulling spray, lots of polaroid test shots, and finally sheet film transparencies, along with color and B&W negatives. Then, a retoucher would spend another day or two with the image before the advertising manager was satisfied.

Now, I can get the same kind of lighting with a single strobe and 20 - 30 frames, then spend 3 or so hours in Photoshop to come up with an image. Then place it on different backgrounds in a flash.

I will have to spend more time perfecting my retouching technique in Photoshop to do this project justice.

Enjoy!

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.
You did a great job. Lovely image and beautiful car

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
Tom, nice seeing photos some familiar places! heading down there for Jazz Fest today.
Thanks Yohan. Vancouver is such an amazing city - one of my favourite places. I have many more street shots that I ended up doing while I was there. I had originally intended going with both film and digital cameras. My Nikon F was loaded with Tmax 400 and just as I went out the door to the airport I took a quick test shot and found the shutter was stuck. So I ended up going with my A7s and A7ii.
Enjoy the Jazz fest today and take lots of pics - it will be epic.
If you are ever out in Edmonton send me a PM and we can talk cameras, go out shooting and grab a coffee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom