Showcase Sony Zeiss Distagon FE35mm F1.4 ZA

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by tomO2013, Apr 18, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Bit the bullet and picked this puppy up last week.
    Due to family commitments I was unable to properly take it out since I bought it.

F5.6 under fluorescent lighting in a shopping mall - this is the second shot that I took with the lens!

Apples and Pears!
    by tom.ohle, on Flickr

Unfortunately I noticed that I had set the aperture (unintentionally to F5.6).

Sharing anyway to get the ball rolling.

What I'm sure we all really want to see is wide open performance. With this image I've done small tweaks to the white balance. It is tack sharp to the corners.

Possibly this is the sharpest lens that I have shot yet on a 35mm camera at the focus point. Sharper than the Sonnar 55 1.8.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's saying something! :)

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Wowzer! Keep 'em coming!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  4. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Took it out for a proper test run yesterday. This is a quick snap of a friends new baby. :)

Close focus is ridiculously short - probably the closest I've experienced from any lens yet on the FE platform. It allows for very creative uses. You will be surprised how close to the lens hood you can get when focussing on a subject! For creative types this opens up a lot of options.

In terms of distortion correction and enabling profile corrections in camera VS disabling corrections - this looks to do nothing to fix distortion. It doesn't exist to begin with so there is no difference to the output image that I have been able to tell so far. Only difference it makes is to remove vignetting by gaining the corners. Corner sharpness wide open is very good.

On the vignetting wide open, I feel that it isn't too strong and easily removed in post. But it really gives the glass a character and makes it really suited for portraiture where subjects just pop in a very medium format way. Like the loxia line there is a very quick fall off from in focus to out of focus but this it's very linear across the frame.
    Saturation levels, colour and sharpness wide open are great to the point that if you have ever shot a lens like the Nocticron, Otus etc.. where you get this very sharp wide open look, for some subject matter you may need to soften it a little to suit your subject.

For this shot, I've deliberately softened the image a little, desaturated somewhat and played with colour levels to get an old school look that I like.

Junior
    by tom.ohle, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  5. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    At 1.4 the DOF is very shallow. For portraiture it has a lot more 'pop' from wide open relative to the Voigtlander 35 1.2 II which I'm also familiar with.
    There is no 'glow' or coma that I've come across yet.
    Bokeh as you can see fades off very quick but also very smoothly.

In this shot the left eye is ever so slightly out of focus relative to the right... that's my fault if I'm going to get nit picky. That said, this is wide open at 1.4.

That said I like the image and I love the girl :D

17206576801_dd7ced312d_z.
    Howdy!
    by tom.ohle, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  6. Jman13

Jman13 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2014
    While I disagree that it's sharper than the 55/1.8, it is very, very good. My daughter got an aquarium for her birthday:

chloe_tank.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    DSC08349-Edit-2. It looks like a nice lens, if rather expensive but I'm not seeing that it's better than the 35mm 2 on the RX1.

• Like Like x 6
  8. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  9. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  10. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    @christilou@christilou @tomO2013@tomO2013 @Jman13@Jman13

Please post some more photos with this lens. I am this close to buying one, but I need a little more persuading!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Mine pic is from the RX1 Zeiss 35mm 2. I'll be hanging on to this combo because I've yet to see anything that can touch it :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 8
  14. stripedrex

stripedrex TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    Do you remember if this was with eye autofocus or did you pull that manual? I have kids of my own and I heavily count on my E-M1 to catch the eye in moments like this (kids are too fast!). Olympus usually nails it which to this day still surprises me. I struggle to get similar results with the A7II + 55 1.8 (eye detect is clunkier) so I just deal with more missed shots (dof not helping either when I want to shoot wide open). I keep thinking the A7RII can finally have me commit to 1 system and ditch the E-M1. That now has continuous eye detect autofocus?! That and maybe the 35 1.4 autofocuses faster?

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    This was autofocus on the A7 II. It's not as good as the E-M1 for this application, and I doubt the A7R II will be either, but I find it (A7 II) just good enough for my purposes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    There speaks a man who has already decided to buy a lens.... :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    This lens is just beyond words. The sun is in the picture and still it maintains contrast my Canon 35 1.4 did not even come close to...
    21072346976_23c777b410_b. Sony FE 35 1.4 by cvt01, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    A dealer let me have a few hours with the 35/1.4 yesterday....and it was sheer "poison". It's killing me!

Shy Lady

Shy Lady.

• Like Like x 6
  20. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Your dealer is smart :D

• Agree Agree x 1