Shootout Sony Zeiss Alpha E-Mount 35mm (Equivalent) Shootout - Distagon, Biogon, and Two Sonnars Compared

Tony

New to TalkEmount
I have the FE 35/1.4, FE 35/2.8, Loxia 35/2 and RX1. Used to have 24/1.8 on Nex 5n/7.

This was very useful (thanks for doing the test Amin) as I'm trying to pair down the number of 35's I have.

Likewise, I've been surprised at the negative reviews for the Loxia. I've been very impressed by mine. I find the bokeh and other aspects of the lens a little unpleasant at f/2, but stopped down a bit it improves a lot by f/2.8. I've been surprised to find I really, really like the bokeh and more so the pronounced 3D rendering in the f/3.2-4 range. I also like the color rendition of the Loxia, really gorgeous sometimes.

I really like the FE 35/1.4 stopped down to F/2.

I think the RX1 is going - the body and user experience is getting a bit long in the tooth and with reading glasses in my near future, having the EVF on 100% of the time diminishes the advantage over the A7x/35 combos.

So it comes down to two out of three of the 35/1.4, 35/2.8 and Loxia. I am leaning towards 35/1.4 and 35/2.8 and selling the Loxia, but am finding it hard to let go.
As a purveyor of 35mm lenses, would you sell all your 35mm fe lenses and replace with a Rx1r Mk2? Would it be worth the effort to carry a second camera around all the time? Asking cause it's the same lens as before but upgraded body. Very tempted to sell some wide to normal lenses and replace with the rx1r m2.

darrellc

TalkEmount Rookie
As a purveyor of 35mm lenses, would you sell all your 35mm fe lenses and replace with a Rx1r Mk2? Would it be worth the effort to carry a second camera around all the time? Asking cause it's the same lens as before but upgraded body. Very tempted to sell some wide to normal lenses and replace with the rx1r m2.
I sold my RX1 last week. I think purchasing the RX1 (v1 or v2) can be a good alternative to purchasing a standalone 35mm lens for the A7x series, particularly against a lens that provides comparable IQ like the big and heavy FE 35/1.4.

In my case, I'm not going to do it, as I'm after simplicity, flexibility, I care about video, and I already have two A7x bodies so I don't need the RX1 as a backup body. I do like to carry a second body and think it is worth it - since you can sometimes get better quality and comparable flexibility without much hit (e.g. two A7x bodies with FE 28/55 instead of FE 24-70).

If I had one A7x body, wanted a backup/second body, 35mm was my go-to focal length (it is), I didn't want to compromise IQ at 35mm, and I didn't care too much about video, I'd get the RX1 v1/v2. I also tried out the RX100 pop up viewfinder and found it too fiddly. I have decided not to buy any more cameras without integrated viewfinders. I'd be very tempted by the RX3 if it includes an integrated viewfinder in the rangefinder style (no false prism hump) body a la Fuji X100, Panasonic LX100, Sony A6000 or Panasonic GX7/8.

DDaugherty

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Daniel C. Daugherty

I would be tempted as I often carry two (even three bodies) about as often as I carry one body and three lenses... but as good as the RX1 version 2 might be, there's probably going to be a version 3, 4, etc. I would rather just update an A7r body every version or two and invest (and keep) the lens.

Of course, the caveat would be if an RX1 was made significantly smaller than an A7r + 35mm. It's smaller but not in any significant way (still doesn't fit in a regular pocket, etc.) or if the combo was at a great price point (in the range of the cost of the best 35mm FE lens at the time).

Personally, I would probably be more interested in a pocket-able RX100 with the best 35mm fast - prime they could engineer for it given that I already have A7R2 bodies, etc. Of course, if I wanted to limit myself to one camera + lens... and had not already bought A7r2's, it would probably be the latest RX1.

Tony

New to TalkEmount
I would be tempted as I often carry two (even three bodies) about as often as I carry one body and three lenses... but as good as the RX1 version 2 might be, there's probably going to be a version 3, 4, etc. I would rather just update an A7r body every version or two and invest (and keep) the lens.

Of course, the caveat would be if an RX1 was made significantly smaller than an A7r + 35mm. It's smaller but not in any significant way (still doesn't fit in a regular pocket, etc.) or if the combo was at a great price point (in the range of the cost of the best 35mm FE lens at the time).

Personally, I would probably be more interested in a pocket-able RX100 with the best 35mm fast - prime they could engineer for it given that I already have A7R2 bodies, etc. Of course, if I wanted to limit myself to one camera + lens... and had not already bought A7r2's, it would probably be the latest RX1.
Yeah it was a tempting thought but the RX1 doesn't feel like it's compact enough. I decided to hold on to my A7 II + Loxia 35 combo and maybe consider getting a 35mm f2.8 too even though it's a bit duplicative. I had a Nikon Coolpix A for a little while (gave it to my mom) that was probably the best with respect to trading off between size and IQ. If they ever updated that, I'd consider buying another one.

Mus Aziz

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mus
Had a chance to borrow the Distagon 35/1.4 for a few hours from a dealer last week. Nice overall and great bokeh but a tad too big for what I want to use it for - street photography and landscapes. Tried the FE35/2.8 briefly but didn't like it at all. After a lot of thought and consultation with the dealer, and not to mention the number of times I read this particular forum, I finally ordered the Loxia 35. It should arrive tomorrow. Here's hoping that it'll be a stellar copy. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom