• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony Tough Card

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
I just took delivery of a 64GB Sony Tough card for use in my A7R3. I substituted it in Slot 1 for the 64GB ProGrade UHS-II SDXC formerly occupying that slot, and then moved the ProGrade card over to Slot 2 (knowing that slot can't take advantage of the card's speed due to the hardware limitations of the slot). Formatted both cards, and then shot some photos. I do not have any formal measurements, but my user experience was that the Tough card noticeably sped up the "write" process of the camera. It was definitely more than barely perceptible and that actually surprised me. I'd recommend the Tough card based on my experience (thus far).

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I just took delivery of a 64GB Sony Tough card for use in my A7R3. I substituted it in Slot 1 for the 64GB ProGrade UHS-II SDXC formerly occupying that slot, and then moved the ProGrade card over to Slot 2 (knowing that slot can't take advantage of the card's speed due to the hardware limitations of the slot). Formatted both cards, and then shot some photos. I do not have any formal measurements, but my user experience was that the Tough card noticeably sped up the "write" process of the camera. It was definitely more than barely perceptible and that actually surprised me. I'd recommend the Tough card based on my experience (thus far).

I believe the Sony tough UHS-II cards have the fastest read/write speeds on the Sony bodies. Saying that, on my A7III I was cheap and just put a UHS-I card in slot II and dedicated that slot for video instead.

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Good to hear. I had one back ordered for a l-o-n-g time and it has finally been shipped.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
I just got a couple of Sony Tough cards but haven't yet had the opportunity to try them out in my A7R IV. I'm looking forward to the increased speed in the "write" process! My "old" cards just weren't cutting the mustard in that regard.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
Since my A7iii uses a 24MP sensor - I decided that possibly the best price/speed ratio in an SD card might be the Lexar Professional 1667X 128SG SDXC UHS-II/U3 card which I ordered from Amazon.com for $37.50 Lexar Professional 1667X 128SG SDXC YHS-II/U3

I shoot stills and want to try this card in slot one of the A7III to see if there is any perceivable difference between this card and my present fastest SD card which is a 90mbs Sony SD XC-I when shooting stills in high speed bursts.

Mark Galen recommends shooting in RAW compressed for action shots.

Using two cards for redundancy negates the advantage of using a UHS-II since the second card slot is UHS-I

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Using two cards for redundancy negates the advantage of using a UHS-II since the second card slot is UHS-I

I came to that conclusion as well. I ended up just putting a UHS-I U3 card in the 2nd slot so it was fast enough for 4K video recording. I opted for the Transcend UHS-II card for the 1st slot of my A7III. Honestly, unless I was shooting with an A9 or any A7RIII/IV, mid-tier UHS-II cards are fast enough for the A7III.

SamSS

TalkEmount Veteran
Not bad at all for the lesser priced M version of Tough SD UHS-II SF-M128T V60 128GB
Benched with Lexar LRWM04U-7000 card reader.
Sony Tough SF-M128T V60 UHS-II 128GB Crystal2.JPG
   ---            

Just for kicks, nvme speeds...
1-Crystal Disk2.JPG
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom