Sony to stop direct sales in the US.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by lenshoarder, Aug 1, 2015.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
  2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Yeah... I was not happy to read that. Which look like it means that the Sony Rewards site will be limited to items on the rewards site, instead of using points at the Sony Store to buy anything.

Looks like I'll be using up whatever points I have to get a discount on the FE 24-240
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Reading it, there will be a website, just no product sold directly. There will be affiliate sites you can buy from.
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Read this a few days ago...sad news for sure
  5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
  6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Correct, although that means that any gift cards, or Sony Rewards points can no longer be used for just any purchase. In fact, Sony gift cards must be redeemed before the 28th. Per the FAQ:
    Not sure where you can transfer gift cards to, but it certainly looks like you won't be able to use a Sony gift card to purchase Sony gear from a retailer.

As to the Sony Rewards program:
    As I read this, you will only be able to use Sony Rewards point for items on the Sony Rewards website, which does not include all items. So if you want to use Sony Reward points for a current Sony Store item that isn't in the Rewards program, you would also need to do so before the 28th.

So based on my interpretation, I decided to use whatever points I had, and order the FE 24-240 while I could. Will it eventually go on the Rewards site? Maybe. But I wanted it by October anyways, so I might as well take what I can get now.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    It doesn't impact me. I buy all my equipment from retailers (like B&H) already!
  8. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014

Sony Canada started to shutdown all their retail stores in February 2015 discount everything at 30%.

This is when I bought my Sony 18-200 for 600$

It's sad to see them go. I went to the Sony stores to test lenses on my A6000

There aren't many retailers in Canada who carry the full series of Sony lenses
  9. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    Yea, no Sony store anymore in my Huntington, NY location at the mall.

I wonder why they shut the stores down to begin with. Is it supposed to be like Apple/Microsoft style of stores and it didn't work out?