1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony to Fuji to Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Now that I have been happily shooting with my NEX 6 for several months I started to think back on the journey from NEX 5n to Fuji XE-1 and the back to Sony with my current camera the NEX 6. First off, all are fine cameras and capable of superb results. I think they have different appeals and which you prefer depends entirely on what you want out of a camera. The Fuji is a camera that us a digital interpretation of shooting film and the Sony embraced the fact that you have a small computer (with a lens) in hand. I am an adapted lens shooter and I came back to Sony because the bodies do a wonderful job of supporting adapted lenses with an absolutely terrific implementation of focus peaking. Of course several months in I am finding that it's not that simple. Each camera has its strengths and weaknesses and all things considered the move from the Fuji XE1 to NEX 6 was a lateral one at best. In case anyone is curious about what the transition has been like here is my take...

Image Quality:
    There are definitely a few things that I miss in the switch from Fuji. First off, I need to just come out and say that I think the Fuji images are a tiny bit better. That needs a bit of clarification of course the images from the Fuji are definitely an acquired taste. In my case, I shot RAW and processed them in Capture One Pro 8. The lack of an AA filter is noticeable in the images and in low light the Fuji images are amazingly clean. I find that the RAW images from the Fuji gave me considerably more latitude to work them than RAW files from the Sony. Interestingly, I didn't care much for the Fuji JPEGs SOOC. Much has been said about the Fuji JPEGs being so good that you don't need to shoot RAW (and that was definitely something that drew me to Fuji in the first place) but my experience was that SOOC the images looked flat and soft no matter what settings I used. I actually prefer the Sony images SOOC. When shooting RAW however the Fuji was capable of some of the best images I have ever seen from an APS-C camera (including the a6000). I found that I preferred the images from the older Trans-X sensors (X-Pro1 and XE-1) to those of their newer cameras.

Adapted Lenses:
    I shoot adapted lenses almost exclusively and Fuji's support for that is not very good. The XE-1 peaks only in white and the peaking is very difficult to see in the EVF (as in not at all). Some of the other models added red as a peaking color option but even that is nowhere as easy to see as the peaking on the Sony (I was able to play with peaking on a friends XT-1). Some argue that the way Fuji implements peaking is more accurate than the Sony and I have to say that once I got used to it I was able to get a high degree of keepers but it requires using magnification almost all of the time and ends up being a rather slow process. Peaking on the LCD was considerably easier to see but the lack of a flip down screen makes using the rear Screen far less convenient. Shooting adapted lenses on any of the Sony bodies I have used (F3, 5n, 6 and a6000) is fast and easy. There is absolutely no comparison. Sony by a mile.

User Interface and Handling:
    The Fuji approach of making the UI be very analog is very effective. It's less of an issue when looking at the newer Sony models like the a6000 but I need to give credit where credit is due. Fuji does a really nice job with making the operation of the camera very intuitive and enjoyable. The fact that clicking the rear thumb wheel zoomed the image for focus assist is something i miss...a lot. Havingt said that, when I shoot adapted lenses I really don't need to do much menu diving so once the NEX is set up the quirky Sony UI doesn't get in the way. The fact at I can map the fn button (to the right of the shutter release) on an a6000 is a BIG step in the right direction.

Responsiveness:
    Something that the Sony has in spades is sheer speed. From the NEX 5n to the a6000, Sony cameras are fast. There is absolutely no delay when shooting. It's the closest thing in APS-C mirror-less to shooting film when it comes to responsiveness. It may seem like a small thing but it makes the whole experience much more fluid and enjoyable.

Conclusion:
    So do I regret making the switch? Not really, the NEX 6 does everything I ask of it and more. To be honest I could have gone with the NEX 7 or a6000 as well and have been perfectly happy with it (or almost any Sony camera body for that matter). For my particular needs as an adapted lens user the Sony is a great fit. My only regret is that I sold the XE-1 when I bought the NEX. I don't often miss a camera after I sell it but there are definitely times when I miss that one. Despite it's flaws and what a royal PITA it was to use with adapted lenses there was something about it that brought out the best in me as a photographer. The NEX is a great camera and I am getting back into the rhythm of using it but I haven't yet found it's sweet spot. I will but it takes time and practice.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome back, the NEX platform is well suited for adapted lens work

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yes, the Sony/NEX really are the best option for someone like me that uses adapted lenses. I think that the natural next step for me would be to go FF (at some point down the road). That said, I still have much to learn with the gear I have.

I'd love to see something like the Tri-Nav make a comeback on a Sony body. I cam very close to picking up a NEX 7 when i switched back just to have that.

4. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Welcome back. I hope you find "the sweet spot" with your NEX gear fairly soon. Enjoy the journey as you go. :)

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Nice to be back. It'll happen, I had found my happy place shooting with the 5n. I have no doubt I'll get to that point with the 6 as well. I am starting to get a feel for what the 6 does well and what it doesn't. That's half the battle.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The TriNav is a fan of many

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015