1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony to announce a6xxx replacement May 20-23

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by DizzyV6P, May 13, 2015.

1. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P New to TalkEmount

Apr 9, 2012
    Sony will announce the a6100 between May 20-23. Some leaked features:

No 4K Video
    24.3 MP sensor
    APS-C
    1080p XAVCS codec

No word on whether it will have in-body stabilization

http://cameratimes.org/sony-a6xxx...may-20-23/

So expect another price dip on the a6000 once the a6xxx is announced.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I won't hold my breath that they will return to the build quality of the NEX-7 and once I'm at it I'd rather see some decent fast glass than the umpteenth body.

3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    It seems cameratimes.org is getting this from today's earlier SAR post: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-a6xxx-to-be-announced-the-week-between-18-23-may/
    And SAR has been a bit... spotty or vague with its rumor info lately, or else Sony has tightened up its leaks.

Beyond the addition of the XAVC-S codec (which seems obvious given its addition to every Sony E-mount body released after the A6000 --> A7s, A5100, A7ii), I wonder what else Sony will actually add/update/improve, if not having 4K added or adding IBIS (either 5-axis or 3-axis)?
    • Add another control dial for a total of three (thus answering the hue and cry for the return of Tri-Navi)?
    • Bring the resolution of the EVF back up to par with the NEX-6, NEX-7 and A7-series?
    • Add touch-screen functionality to the LCD, as with the A5100?
    • Add a mic/audio-in and/or headphone-out jacks?
    • Improve other menu or functional features, like Auto-ISO limits, etc.?
    • Something else I haven't thought of?
    Would any of these additions entice any of you to consider purchase of this supposedly-soon-to-be-announced, otherwise-mythical A6xxx, assuming that 4K video AND IBIS are not forthcoming?

Also, I wouldn't expect any price drops on the A6000 below the current US$200 off its release MSRP any time soon. Instead, I'd expect the permanent MSRP to drop by US$100 or $200, making one of the recent sale prices the *new* regular price on the A6000. Just my two pence worth. ;)

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    We will see, still all rumors.

It will be hard to beat the A6000, such a successful camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nope, I don't plan to upgrade. Any new release will likely be designed to maintain their lead on the competition. The a6000 was so far ahead of Canon and Nikon. Even with Canon's new M, it's no match for the a6000, neither is their new Rebel!

Only wants for the current one are better EVF, weatherized body, more options over JPEG output and noise reduction, better ISO performance, no aliasing filter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    While I agree that Sony may be focused on "beating" Canon and/or Nikon (and from my perspective succeeding at that), it seems the true competition/"innovation" in cameras is coming not from that duopoly but from the Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic/Samsung bunch. Samsung's new NX500 seems to be a strong competitor for the A6000 on paper, including on price. And the XT1 and OM-D EM1 / EM5ii appear to have the strongest buzz amongst "enthusiasts". So Sony can't stand still in its midrange nor high end lines of ILCs. Topping Canon and Nikon doesn't seem too hard right now, it's the others that should worry Sony.

Ironically, when I jumped into E-mount some 18 months ago, it seemed like so many in the various forums were clamoring for in-body image stabilization (IBIS) in an NEX-7 successor. I didn't think much of that at the time. And the call for it seemed to die down when the A7 series came out. But now that I've experienced the joys (and frustrations) of adapting legacy lens, and with the advent of the full-frame IBIS in the A7ii, IBIS is now the feature that I want most in my next APS-C camera... well, that and all the other goodness the A6000 offers.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    Still no news on the new cameras :(

8. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Now SAR is saying mid-June. But at this point, I'll believe it when there's an official Sony press release.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tjdean01

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm skeptical Sony will make what I'm looking for: a small-bodied full-frame camera (think RX1) with, give or take, an 85mm f1.8 lens. The RX1 is a great camera and they even made a few updates of it but apparently they feel no one would want a longer lens on it?

So, at this point I'm planning on not seeing a camera like this, skipping the next smallest thing in the A7, and just getting the A7ii and when the time comes maybe that new 85/1.8 Batis they made. Pricey though! :(

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's the issue. Many of us have no desire to spend the double + cost for the A7 series.

11. tjdean01

Jan 14, 2015
    I would agree if I had an APS camera. I'm coming from m4/3 though so full frame would be nice

12. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'll keep shooting my NEX-7 until it falls apart which might take another couple years. If they don't come out with an FF camera with uncompressed RAW in the meantime I might continue the journey with a second hand NEX-7 (they're already down to 300€ over here) and so on and so forth. In good light/base ISO this camera has the best IQ/weight ratio I ever came across and the IQ will be good enough for everything I originally bought it for for the next XY years.