1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Support...1 year and 3 weeks to process a refund

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, May 26, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    May 5th, 2014 I gritted my teeth and ordered an outrageously priced large size eye-cup for an NEX-7...$59.27 USD. Having to wait for a new batch to be manufactured in Japan, my order was placed in a queue.

Weeks later I received an Email saying it was ready, asking if I still wanted it, Emailed my confirmation back, then was told it was shipping, my credit card was charged, and I waited. A long few weeks later it arrived...and then I noticed my credit card was charged again.

Spent an enormous amount of time with sony support over the next few weeks trying to get the mess straightened out. Finally after too many weeks of sheer exasperation I just gave up, was burned out dealing with the incompetence.

Put it out of my mind and basically forgot about it for all these months.....until yesterday. 1 year and 3 weeks later...05/25/15...a $59.27 refund appeared on my credit card statement.

Not an apology...not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement to me.
    The refund simply appeared on my statement 1 year and 3 weeks later.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Wow.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Crazy. At least they set it right.

4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    As far as customer relations go, this is like a bad joke. If anything will stop sony from toppling canikon it will be their pathetic customer support.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for sharing this. I guess that is one of the reasons I would be slightly transitioning away from sony to either nikon or cannon. For me camera is not only about technology is also about support. It is the same with cars. I do not want to drive the fastest car. I want a car that has lot of accessories. Good service services.,, and so on.
    I am of those believers that find that cameras already gives us a lot of what we need and there are other factors we should start paying attention to.
    I will not sell all my alpha nex gear but I would keep it a family camera.
    Alex

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Pretty well sums it up...and it's particularly surprising when 'product quality and support' have been such highly visible focus areas with corporations for the past couple decades.
    Every one of my 3-4 dealings with sony support have been terrible.

Worse...this instance didn't even require any strong technical involvement.
    It was a simple matter of charging me twice for an item...followed by the total incompetence and refusal of anyone to take hold of the problem and straighten it out. And it should have been a no-brainer to fix immediately with the complete audit trail of Email communications that showed what happened and when. Pathetic is an understatement.

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I absolutely dread the day I have to deal with sony for a warranty issue or some such. I mean didn't they learnt that their arrogance is largely to blame for their diminished market share (overall not digital imagining). Well at least these day if you buy something sony it has a standard plug and takes a standard memory card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Fortunately, my NEX-7s have held up through their 1 year warranty periods and I didn't have to deal with any of sony's in-depth technical support...but after the 3-4 episodes I have had with them, I have no plans to ever buy another model sony camera...a nice side benefit of only using Canon legacy lenses is no other investment in sony gear. Since I can't depend on them for quality support I have zero interest in the aggravation and elevated blood pressure fighting battles to get them to do their job on any new models.
    Instead, as used NEX-7 prices continue to drop, when they get low enough, if I run across one or two clean used ones with low shutter counts I might pick them up as maintenance spares instead of dealing with sony to repair one of mine for hundreds of dollars, assuming they even could/would.
    I just have zero interest in placing any further dependency on dealing with sony support.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Ironically I just read an article (unfortunately I lost it), where pros love Sony cameras, but can't make the switch because of the terrible service. The 1 time I needed service was on my NEX 5T, it was ridiculous. Luckily I had a second body, so I didn't sweat it. So roundball picking up a spare is a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    They get zero props from me for making it good over a year later, and without so much as the professional courtesy of an acknowledgement call or email

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I remember that article. Also, on the public relations/customer relations website they have a post asking for interaction on ways to improve support, yet the link in the post is a dead link and the email address given for the author is a bogus email

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Props no, really crappy that it took them that long, but at least someone noticed.