1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Sony SELP18-105G

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by WestOkid, Apr 28, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    My apologies Messed up the name on the archive. Can an Admin fix it so it does't have sample archive in the title. Thanks.

As for the lens. I really like it. My only complaint is the size. Not that it's unwieldy, it's actually well balanced. It just dwarfs the 5T.

14046063691_0ced6128ea_b. Peace... by iShootPics ( WestOKid ), on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    This is one of the few native e-mount lenses I want!!! (but can't afford :D )

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Fantastic shot, Gary. Would be hanging on my wall if I'd made it.

4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hello,
    What does the G stands for in SELP18-105G?

5. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Just like Canon has thier "L" distinction for thier better quality lenses, "G" is Sony's answer. G was popularized on Sony's A-mount platform. Currently this is the only lens with that distinction on e-mount.

Here is Sony's explanation... http://www.sony-mea.com/microsite/dslr/09/gLens/

• Like Like x 1
  6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Ad. Very encouraging thing to say.

7. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA

Thanks for the explanation! Wish I could afford one. Well, better improve my images with what I have right now and we'll see

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agree, that is a great shot.

9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I agree with Ad and Dave, that's a terrific shot!

10. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Fantastic shot! Thanks for sharing.

11. Boriqua

Boriqua New to TalkEmount

Apr 9, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    How sharp is this lens??? I'm torn between the SEL1670Z and the SEL18105G... What is the minimum shutter speed this lens will permit??

12. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Bokeh Examples. I think it renders nicely

f/4.0 round and nice for my tastes, but if you look closely, you can see the onion rings produced by most aspherical lenses. I could have easily dulled this in post, but I actually think its cool.

14435610573_4a8d79a47a_b. Holding Strong by iShootPics ( WestOKid ), on Flickr

F/7.1 Everything is nice and creamy
    14336761424_989a6ab0c2_b. Pretty in pink by iShootPics ( WestOKid ), on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  13. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    14276832589_acca95b870_k.

14463472235_545613c9c4_k.

14276836479_6b11c4e4d5_k.

Got this lens hoping to make it my main walkabout instead of 18-55 I can't force myself to love.

I shoot raw but all of these photos are SOOC JPEGs from a walk along a nature path this evening.

This lens is nicer at longer FLs.

• Like Like x 6
  14. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    So are you happy with it? I find that it is really nice.

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^ :eek: :thumbup: That's it - I'm sold!!!
    I'm ordering this lens now !!! (even if I'd hurt my pocket hard)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am still trying to make up my mind about it. It's definitely capable of great IQ, and a step above the kit, but it's no substitute for the 17-50/2.8 OS I had on Canon. Which was to be expected, really. At f4 this lens is wide open but Sigma 17-50 would be well stopped down. I do think however that Sigma had better center sharpness at f2.8 than this lens has at f4, but then again, it also greatly depends on the body used - the speed and accuracy of autofocus system, the raw file output etc. I wish I could borrow the Sigma in A mount to compare.

I did bring my Beercan along, and I would say the Beercan has a slight edge in sharpness wide open. But then, again, it's a Beercan. Also, my camera tends to slightly overexpose when using LA-EA2, so less NR applied to shadow details.

It's not soft at f4, and really picks up sharpness by f5.6. The photos above were shot at f5 and f5.6. However I think it is somewhat held back by AF on Nex 6. It does not seem to be too good for action. This may be different on A6000, or perhaps they could improve the performance on 6 with a firmware upgrade like they did with 50/1.8. I'd say AF speed wise it is midway between 50 and1855.

Where it shines is the tele end - nice sharpness and nice bokeh. It does require manual distortion adjustment sometimes (I have an older version of LR).

Put it this way - that's the best $600 zoom currently available for E mount systems. It is definitely an IQ improvement over 1855 kit, although not in size. Out of all the lenses I currently own in E and A mounts, I would put only SEL50 squarely above it in IQ. Looking at 16-70 samples, I don't see a major difference in IQ, and the cost diff is quite a bit more. I would probably chose a similarity sized 17-50/2.8 OSS over it, even if this meant giving up the extra 55mm and nice bokeh, but there's no such lens in E mount, and probably won't ever be one. And 18-200 is much more expensive and not any better in IQ (if not worse), so all it adds is extra 95mm of reach.

I haven't had much chance to try it at 18mm, this is planned for this upcoming weekend.

i don't think I would be selling one of my Sigma primes as I initially planned, as it really dawned upon me after using this lens for a while just how versatile of a system I have now in both the size and the IQ. This lens brings the range and Sigmas bring the compactness. I will, however, put my kit lens up for sale as I don't see any reason to keep it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I agree with all your points. I really wish it were F/2.8 :(. For this reason I still have to bring a prime just in case I find myself in low light. DOF at f4 is not an issue because we compensate with added focal length. The size is not ideal for my 5t, but i think it will suit the a6000 (next upgrade) just fine. When i want portability, I stick on my Sigma 30 or a pancake anyway.

Here is a OOC shot at 18mm I took yesterday.

[​IMG]

There are caveats however, my sensor is dirty and there are areas with blotches. I didn't notice until I got home and saw the blotches repeated on every shot. I also shot in JPEG because I forgot to switch back to raw after i used clear image zoom for a picture of kids. With the cloudy day and no raw, most of the shots are blah. I was so disappointed with myself for these oversights, but hey i am still technically a rookie.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    One more point - at widest setting it is longer than 18-55 at 18, and basically identical to 19/2.8; Not a show stopper, but do expect to lose a little bit of field of view vs 1855. And forget about using the flash at FL smaller than 40mm, unless you bounce it.

OTOH, the power zoom is very good, as long as PZ go. I was afraid I'd hate it after having used 16-50, but on this lens there's a real zoom ring and the feel is comparable, if not the same, as on "normal" zoom lenses.

Also, it seems to be less flare prone than 1855. I used to get some nasty flare on 1855 with the sun in photo.

• Like Like x 1
  19. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Besides some qualities, you don't seem to like it a lot. You make me hesitate. Despite the distortion ( that can easily be corrected) the tests for this lens are generally good. Hum...

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

20. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, let me clarify.

The last $600 lens I bought was a very sharp fast stabilized zoom with very good bokeh and fast HSM focusing. Unfortunately, it had to be attached to a Canon DSLR.

When buying this lens, I guess I was on some subconscious level expecting the same level of performance. And of course there's no miracles, a high quality fast f2.8 stabilized zoom on a body with fast AF and a great JPEG engine will always outperform a quality f4 stabilized zoom on a body with a relatively anemic AF and not the best JPEG engine. I also shoot a lot of relatively low light scenes and even with good stabilization f4 is not f2.8 and nowhere near f1.8. So in a way I was expecting the same results I was getting with Sigma on Canon, and this was silly.

As far as the Sony E mount goes, this lens is basically midway between 1855 and 50/1.8. That is, better IQ than 1855, but not as good as 50; better AF speed than 50, but slightly slower than 1855; far more useful zoom range but also heavier and bulkier. I am still convinced that this is, at present time, the best single walkabout lens on Sony E-mount as far as features, IQ and price goes. It is better for outside than inside (sans flash) and far better for portraits than action. Not sure how it performs for landscapes yet but probably also decent.

I think my main gripe with this lens is really that it's f4 and not f2.8. But that's what it is, other than that it's very good. I would not hesitate getting one.

Here's a portrait I took with it, it's a straight out of camera JPEG, so once I get around to processing the raw file the result should be even better. This was taken almost wide open at f4.5, and I think it shows a very good performance.

• Like Like x 2