1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Sony SELP 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by WoodWorks, Jan 4, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I guess it's about time that someone posted some sample images of this lens. Here are a couple, shot with my NEX-6, ISO 100 @16mm f/11...

[​IMG]

...and @ 50mm f/8.

[​IMG]

I really like its compact form factor and the 16mm field of view. I've done the customary brick wall test, and it's pretty soft in the corners wide open. But it improves considerably by f/5.6 and by f/8 it's pretty sharp. Until I can afford the 10-18mm f/4, this will be my go-to landscape lens.

Anyone else have some samples to share?

David

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
  3. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Yes, AND cropped a good bit as well!!! NEX-7 by the way.

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Here are a few more samples for those curious about this lens, all shot with the NEX-6.

[​IMG]

The OSS allows for some nice blurred motion effects. This one was shot handheld at 44mm, 1/10 sec.

[​IMG]

You can get some decent blurring of the background if the subject/background/focal length ratio is right.

[​IMG]

I'm a sucker for wide angle shots, so the 16mm focal length suits my style of shooting.

[​IMG]

It can be remarkably sharp for "just" a kit lens. But really, I think its versatility is its strong suit. It's a great walk-around lens that makes the NEX-6 truly pocketable, at least during jacket-wearing season. And boy, is it ever jacket-wearing season around here. That last shot was taken yesterday morning, when it was 17°F (–8°C).

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Excellent shots David... wow, that's cold! I'm surprised electronics still work at those temperatures!!

It's nice to see this lens is getting some good reviews from you guys...

7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    nice shots ,brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wheres my coat and gloves

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice shots!!!

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, these shots show that this lens isn't as bad as the press would lead you to believe. I'm not going to replace my 18-55, but still… :)

10. NRV

NRV TalkEmount Regular

Jun 18, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    • Like Like x 1
  11. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Took some shots with my 16-50 today - I really like it, nice and versatile and of course its tiny !

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Excellent shots!!! Particulary #1 :thumbup: Kudos to the photographer ;)

13. the-donut-man

the-donut-man TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 29, 2013
    Great shots everyone) every picture tells a story!
    Posted this one in nature also. F8, 1/125 and 23mm and handheld from a foot away with the selp.
    I was trying to 'phase detect' on the stamens with the rough edges as a test.

ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1374071703.104133.

14. tominabox1

tominabox1 TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
  15. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Unplesant reading... Brrr. This lens designed to be a space saver and despite that it gives to the owner a great angle range and very decent quality (for prints up to 8X10) I would not print larger but it's a very lovely lens...

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nM__8ruvKH1WaRVrHBvbuNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite"> 3975. "533" width="800" /></a>

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B41jRjw02ANWxRB_y2Qb3NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite"> 3987. "533" width="800" /></a>

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As has been mentioned by many others, photozone tested this lens on a NEX-7, which may be the worst NEX with which to match it. Every other review site I've read has a much higher opinion of it, and had the sense to test it with the NEX-6. SLRgear's review said: "it does better than most kit lenses." I'm not sure what the reviewers at photozone were thinking, but at least with the 16-50, they're way out on a limb.

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've always viewed online lens reviews as a baseline to compare two or more lenses, not as the definitive word on whether a lens merits space in my bag. But that's just me. ;)

18. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    As an owner of this lens, and a beginner, why is the 7 a bay camera to test it on?
    I find it's pictures ok, but it's size compelling for travelling.
    Jeff

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using TalkNEX mobile app

19. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Two main reasons: 1) the higher resolution 24MP sensor easily out resolves the 16-50, which the 16MP sensor on the NEX-6 doesn't. And the NEX-7 has difficulty with ultra-wide lenses (thus Cornerfix), and the 16-50 is weakest in the corners. So if you had to pick a camera that would be guaranteed to highlight the 16-50's weaknesses, the NEX-7 would be the one to choose.

Bottom line: the 16-50 was designed by Sony to work with the most recent batch of NEXes, the 3N, 5R, and the 6, and it was designed to be software corrected. Why some reviewers decide to ignore those conditions is beyond my comprehension.