Showcase Sony SEL 55-210 F4.5-6.3 OSS lens

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by dbmiller, Jun 12, 2012.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
  2. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

What's an OSS lens?? Do you tend to use this type of lens with a tripod?

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    The Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS is a telephoto zoom lens for the Sony NEX system. Designed to complement the existing 18-55mm kit zoom, the Sony E 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS features Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation, quiet and responsive auto focus and a 7-blade circular aperture diaphragm for a pleasing bokeh.

I have this lens is great ..
    Sony E-Mount SEL55210 - 55-210mm f/4.5-6.6 OSS Lens - In Depth Hands on Review, Sample photos, Sample HD Video, 100% Crops, and More!! | SonyAlphaLab.com

4. Ray Vardy

Ta Freddy just read that review, it's all good but I can't buy them all - I'm going to Paris next month, might be lucky and treat myself to 1 lens for the trip but which one - OMG I thought photography would chill me out, but I'm getting more excited/ stressed by the day ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Haha... not to worry Ray, it happens to us all. :D

In my early days of photography I used to stress about everything... my cameras, my lenses, my tripod, how to carry them all... then the light, the weather, the time of day, the subjects, the location - the strain just went on and on and on. The more I wanted to "push" for better results the more the joy drained out of my photography. As I got older, I began to stop 'pushing and pulling' against the elements and have learned to go along with the flow. If things didn't go right, then I'll get it right the next time. If there's no next time, then I let it go because I've still learnt something from that - which will be useful for something else.

Give yourself time, relax, allow yourself to make mistakes, and learn at a pace that doesn't trample on your joy. This will show in your photos... :)

6. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

hey friend, take a look at this page, where I have some photos in the first shoot with this lens ........ greetings

Freddytto Robles Photografia: A squirrel and a small bird in Central Park

7. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

you are correct friend, RELAX and learn from mistakes .......:eek:

8. Ray Vardy

Thank you :) .... There are parallels here with advice my dad once gave me about women! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    lol!! :D :D :D

10. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

lol :eek: My grandpa ,was very good adviser about women

11. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    LOL - Thinking of all the parallels you could infer about women from photography.

Is a longer "lens" better? Big apertures vs small apertures.

Think I'll climb out of the gutter now...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray Vardy

So that 55-210 lens is £300 at our Jessops photographic outlet ( you guessed it ).... Hmmm!

Anyone want to loan me one to try for, err, 1 week in July ( I can collect if your in Paris )

:eek:

13. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Ah, to go back to Paris. Maybe someday...

Last time I went, I was a senior in high school, some (mumble, cough) years ago. I took my father's Twin Lens Reflex camera with me. Only I left the camera bag on the plane when we got off down in Marseilles. :(

Have you looked into renting a lens for a week? In the US, I can find the 18-200 lens for a week for $55. Don't know what prices are in the UK... gotta love google...

Hireacamera - Sony E18-200mm F3.5-6.3 telephoto zoom lens hire - Sony E18-200mm F3.5-6.3 telephoto zoom lens rental

£35.83 (£43.00 including VAT)

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks for sharing RT_Panther!

BTW, how are you finding the F3? I've never seen one in person but it appears to be a little bit bigger than the 5N body and I'm thinking better to hold and less chance of accidental hits on buttons?

16. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
    Last NEX I had was the "original" 3....
    So in that light, the F3 is similar to 3 in that you have to watch your right thumb so as not to accidently change your shutter speed or aperature setting...

17. RT_Panther

Aug 9, 2011
  18. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    DSC01303.JPG

The old and the new. Evening light at the end of the Leuchars Airshow, Fife, Scotland.
    NEX-5 ISO: 320 Exposure: 1/400 sec Aperture: 5.6 Focal Length: 150mm 55-210 SEL JPEG

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Those old piston powered planes are just soooo much better looking than their modern counterparts. I spent about 3 weeks at RAF Macrahanish in 1985 and the Spitfire would have fit the decor just fine. I understand the base has reverted to civilian control now, so I have no idea how much of the war structures remain.

20. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome to the forum, Applemint! :)

Nice shot! Beautiful light... almost romantic 1940s retro feel against the Spitfire. Love both planes, but that I haven't seen a 5 bladed prop spitty before... just absolutely gorgeous. Had the jet (Eurofighter?) not been in the background, that shot would've looked like an original.