Sony says: NEW pancakes (!) in 2012!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    This is for everybody who complains about too big lenses for the NEX system: Sony confirmed in an interview with a japanese magazine that there's a new NEX lens roadmap for 2012. And that includes: Pancakes! Notice the plural here. :D

They also said these will include longer focal lengths. Interesting! So we'll see this new roadmap at least at Photokina 2012, but most probably earlier (or at least we'll see the 3 promised lenses from the "old" lens roadmap earlier).

As Sony says, they won't compromise image quality. And as it's easier (according to Sony) to build a longer focal length pancake than a wide angle one (because of the flange focal distance of the E-Mount) they might (and should) have better quality than the 16mm f/2.8.

Which lenses do you wish?

I personally would appreciate a 35mm f/2 normal lens and a 85mm f/2 (2.8?) mid telephoto lens. As we all know, macro pancakes are unrealistic, so I don't start dreaming of an 100mm f/2.8 macro pancake. :D

Source: sonyalpharumors | Blog | Hot: Sony talks a bit about their plans in 2012!
  2. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I'm with you on the 30-35mm f2 pancake.
  3. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    I hope their next lens is something small and excellent. I love the Zeiss 24mm but it is pretty big.