sony rx 100

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, Feb 22, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    been reading good reports about this camera , has anybody used it,and if so ,what do you think ?

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I like it and use it as my pocket camera for everyday. It replaced Canon s95. There are a lot of reviews so I am sure you read some of them.

I am using with leather and grip on it which makes it more stable. Still small size, no viewfinder, and slow shutter speed to bump iso make some blury images, but the small size gives more images also as I carry it all the time. I like it for street use. Here is some of my shots from Istanbul during my summer vacation (all DSC* shots are with RX1):

Istanbul Streets Photo Gallery by Serhan at pbase.com

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    thanks serhan, some really nice low light images there, I may invest in this camera

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Some more samples from me here.Nice little camera - comments about the UI are, in my opinion, misguided. There are lots of customisation options available to set the camera up any way you want which means everything you need is easily accessible without going into the menus.

5. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I am convinced olli, thanks

6. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Let us know your impressions. I'm always interested to see how other cameras stack up
    Against the NEX. :)

7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I just think this one will be handy for an everywhere anytime camera, without the ability to change lenses which is a bonus really,saves having to make decisions, should I this? should I that ? it would probably be fun

8. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I have not used it except in the store, but can offer a little bit of input anyway.

Based upon all of the favorable comments I had read, this looked to me like an ideal shirt-pocket camera - which I was seeking as an addition to my DSLR cameras. I went to the store last December to actually handle the camera myself, with the intention of buying it if the handling and user-interface seemed good to me. For me, this was a good decision, as I ended up deciding not to buy the camera.

The problem had nothing to do with anything I had expected when I walked in the door of the store. My hands are larger than average - although not extremely so - and the camera was simply too small for me to use it conveniently. I spent some time attempting to find a way to hold the camera that would make it easy and convenient for me to use, but was not able to do so except in Point & Shoot mode - which is not what I wanted.

With the exception of this issue - which probably would not affect most people - the camera seemed quite nice.

- Tom -

9. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I don't own one - am tempted though as a truly pocketable take everywhere camera if (when) the price drops a bit. I also like the Panasonic LX7 and the Fuji X10 as possible cheaper alternatives but neither will fit in a shirt pocket alas.

Anyway - there are a ton of user comments and sample photos here if that helps: Sony RX100 - Talk Photography

10. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    was very interested in this compact camera, very good fronm what I see in some forums, the quality is amazing and performance is goodf in low light too, I have not got one yet, but when we go to the store I take the opportunity to play with it, so used a couple times and it feel very small, but would like to have in my bag.

11. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I added this accessory grip Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories which makes the camera nicer in my hand. Very well made and seems like part of the camera once installed.

I like my RX100 a lot. Great image quality, small, convenient. I have had it get weird on me a couple times, fixed by removing the battery so it would reboot. Also, it takes 2-3 sec. to power on, not as quick as i would like. I'm still very happy with it. Amazing that such a small camera can do so well.

I haven't posted many pictures taken with it, but there are some at Schooner Eros - Jerry Fiddler Photography and Playing with my new Sony RX100 - Jerry Fiddler Photography. All are shot raw, processed in lightroom.

12. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    +1 on the Franiec grip.