1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony repair in the UK

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davegore2005, May 18, 2013.

1. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Has anyone had any experiences with the Sony repair service in the UK?
    I got an NEX C3 back in December 2012 and it looks like the coating is coming away from the rear viewfinder screen.
    Initially they sent me a freepost address to send it to, but there was no way I was going to send t with no insurance so I had to pay for special delivery which they will not refund to me.
    Has anyone had any dealings with the repairs service to give me some idea how long it is before I may get the camera back?, it was delivered to them first thing Friday morning so I kind of expected some kind of response either by phone or email to let me know it had at least arrived with them.

Any advice appreciated

Dave

2. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Sorry, not an answer to your question but an observation... Had to send my 5R back last week and Sony Australia booked an air express courier to collect direct from my home. Interesting how different countries respond to their customer base, i guess with a policy designed on the basis of 'what we can get away with'.

Let me know how long it takes to receive your C3 back and i'll post the same info here. May be useful to somebody else down the line.

3. Englando

Englando New to TalkEmount

May 19, 2013
    Hi, I had to send my Nex 6 and sel55210 lens back for UK warranty repair last Thursday. I got an email response on Friday with the job numbers and I also received paper receipts through the post on Saturday.

I ended up sending via Royal Mail special delivery for almost ten quid. Sony said I could send them via registered post and they would cover the insurance if it got lost. But I don't trust either Royal Mail or Sony UK.

I'm hoping Sony deal with the repair OK. I included a video of the problem as it was so intermittent ("Cannot recognize lens" error message). They have so far said they expect to get the items back to me within 5 days but I don't know if they've already seen the problem.

4. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    thanks for that Englando, maybe i will get some kind of response on Monday, still somewhat frustrating that they are not prepared to cover postage and insurance for items that are clearly still under warranty

Dave

5. Englando

May 19, 2013
    Hi Dave,

did you hear from Sony?

I rang them today to check on the status of my Nex-6 repair and they were replacing the circuit board today. Hopefully should get it back soon and without any dust inside it!

Cheers,
    Pete.

6. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    i actually got an email on Monday then an envelope with conformation the next day.....the online tracker doesn't work on the web site to track the repair but after emailing them they told me that they would respond to any emails regarding updates, but so far they have given me no progress other than it's being looked at by the engineers......but the five day turnaround they promised should mean it will be back on Friday hopefully, otherwise with the weekend and the bank holiday looming there is no telling when it may be back

Dave

7. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    result...hopefully....the camera is repaired and will be dispatched today (Thursday) by royal mail special delivery...so hopefully here before 1pm tomorrow, will post results later

Dave

8. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Wow, you UK guys have it good after all. Called Sony Australia this morning to check on my repair - at first the girl couldn't find it then she confirmed that they received it 4 days ago. I inquired as to the progress to be told, 'Oh the technician hasn't got around to looking at it yet, probably another week or so before he can'. WTF Sony? It seems they are serious about enforcing the minimum 10 working day turnaround.

Typically, without my camera to hand I am spotting all these awesome photo opportunities, bah.

9. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    as a final note from my point of view...camera arrived back before 1pm as promised...new rear screen replaced and as good as new, and a business card signed off by the technician who completed the repair....nice one Sony

Dave

10. Englando

May 19, 2013
    Got mine back today too. I've missed my little baby! It looks to be working fine and I got a free cleaning cloth in a pouch thing.

Sony have come out good this time.