Sony QX1 or Olympus EPL-5?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by acmilan77051, Dec 13, 2014.

1. acmilan77051

acmilan77051 New to TalkEmount

Dec 13, 2014
    Sorry for the wild difference between my choices! :) Actually a few months back, i was really excited about buying a MFT especially from the offerings of Olympus, namely EPL-5, due to their IBIS capability, thinking they would help me in low light shots, as i'm going to use the EPL-5 with adapted lens, so no OIS. And i'm just a beginner. For that, i even bought a 27$ Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 lens from ebay. But somehow my EPL_5 dream didn't materialize back then. So i was left with a lens, but no camera. But recently i'm again thinking about getting one, but seeing the QX1 with it's ability to use and pair it my smartphone, my interest has shifted to it, with adapter i can use my canon 50mm with this. But QX1 also doesn't have IBIS capability like other Sony mirrorless options, i'm going to take a lot of shots in low-light indoor conditions, so i think any sort of image stabilization would help a great deal. And As I don't have a lens with OIS or dont' have any plans to buy a native lens as they're very expensive, so i'll be using my cam with adapted lens, but really i'm also open to advises whether i actually do need IBIS for low-light shooting or not. If i don't need IBIS, i think i'll go for QX!, to use it with my smartphone, yeah a bit unwieldy, but still i really care about the quick sharing options from my Android. If i have to sacrifice the sharing option, i know i can get them in a6000 and NEX-5t and other sony cameras, but rather than them, i might go for EPL-5 due to it's IBIS. I don't know, i'm really confused. Hope you guys can help me take a decision. Thanks.
    Please Note:
    1. my budget is 500$, no more.
    2. I'll take a lot of low-light indoor photos.
    3. I've an legacy lens.
    4. I really do care about Wifi and NFC and IBIS

And one thing, can you also recommend a good cheap sony e-mount lens to go with QX-1, see if i can but it.
    Sorry i'm really new to photography, your care is all i got. So forgive me if there's any error or things along that line. Thanks :)

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    The epl5 is regarded as a great camera (although I have never used one) and the qx1 is an interesting device. It is hard to say which would suit you better, although stabilisation is great for low light remember it does nothing for moving subjects and they will blur with slow shutter speeds. All stabilisation helps with (and a great deal in some cases) is movement of the camera when shooting slow shutter speeds. Not sure if it is the same on the qx1 but I would assume it is until sony starts to use the faster wifi ac connection, but when using a sony camera over wifi on your phone it is a bit laggy. Not only the picture you see through the viewfinder but also control over various functions of the camera take a Lille bit of time to react. As for good cheap lenses for e mount, the sigma 19 and sigma 30 are very good lenses for the price (but aren't good for low light) The sony sel 50 1.8 is a very good lens also and is suitable for low light, I would also recommend the sel35 1.8 over the other but it combined with the qx1 might be out of your price range. Personally if it were me id get an epl5 or an a6000 hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    If you are planning on playing with older legacy manual focus lenses you will be better of with something with a viewfinder. It's terribly difficult to focus an older lens like that with a live view screen. Especially when critical focus is important. If it was my money I would look at a used EM5 or the a6000. Also both these camera can easily send photos to your phone via a closed Network WiFi connection. The same way the QX1 connects to your phone. And both have a vastly better electronics and sensor. Also fyi the ACt does bout shot in raw format. Which may not be important to you now but will add your photography progresses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. acmilan77051

acmilan77051 New to TalkEmount

Dec 13, 2014
    Em-5 would cost too much for me. a6000 body only is cheaper, in low light it would help due to the large sensor and the viewfinder that you mentioned would help me with adapted lens. But still adapted or legacy lens will not be stabilised and with no help from the sensor, pics won't come out very good, i guess. In that case, EPL-5/7 fits the most, but then again EPL-5 doesn't have wifi and EPL-7 costs about 600$. So it comes down to which feat i want most. Nothing is perfect. :( oh about the viewfinder, if i go for EPL-7, so no viewfinder, won't the focus peaking will help me in this regard?
    I think it kinda helps. But if i were to ask you which one should be best for me irrespective of the wifi/NFC feat, IBIS with manual focus lens(no sony option in this price range i guess, or is there) or No IBIS, but large sensor with manual focus lens? I think this is my biggest dilemma, because if i care about wifi and nfc then the pics doesn't come out good, nothing will be able to satisfy me. But if the low light pics come out good, even in the absence of wifi, i can use the pics which matter the most, right? What do you say?

5. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Your right sorry was thinking the ep-5. But not sure where you are located but used E-M5 here in the US Sell for under $500.

6. ykphuah

ykphuah New to TalkEmount

Dec 21, 2014
    I own the a5100, and assuming using the QX1 is exactly like using my A5100 from the android phone, its too laggy to be used as a proper camera, I think the camera on the phone will be faster to use. So I suggest getting a "real" camera, instead of one that relies on the phone, at least until the interface gets a lot better and the battery on phones gets a lot longer life. :)

7. Badboy

Badboy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 24, 2014
    Is the A5100 another good option? My understanding is that it's a a6000 with a few features removed.

8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    It should be fine as long as you don't need a viewfinder

9. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    On a really tight budget you'd probably be better off with a used nex 6, you can pick them up cheap these days.

You will want that viewfinder. I payed quite a bit for the attachment for the nex 5r, but it was totally worth it. Would feel constrained not to even have the option, as with the a5100