Sony pulling all stores from Canada

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tomO2013, Jan 16, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    This was announced yesterday (we saw the same in Ireland about 2 - 3 years ago)...

Very very sad news - I've recently bought a lot of gear from the Sony store in Edmonton whom I found to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

The availability of Sony stores was a large part of the reason why I considered picking up a Sony in the first place - it's reassuring to be able to walk into a brick and mortar store.

It looks the camera division is doing extremely well - but the big losses were on mobile and television. As an electronics company, I think a few years ago Sony dropped the ball somewhat letting LG and Samsung muscle in on their one 'premium' tv area. I remember in the 80's when you would buy a Sony because it was the best built consumer electronics company - sort of like the perceived Apple of it's day.
    I do think it has forced Sony to be very much more innovative recently with products like the A7 series in their camera division and innovative with their lenses offering combined OIS and IBIS, clickable/clickless enabling lenses for film or photo (new 35mm Distagon ZA), and in general clever little things like the way battery door attaches to the battery grip. All nice touches.
    The problem is that this is still an overall small sector related to their TV, hifi, home theatre and mobile divisions.
    Pulling brick and mortar stores will not be a good thing for the brand as Samsung and LG look to dominate even more into the living room.

Thoughts and prayers are with the employees loosing their jobs. I hope they are well looked after.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Wow, sad and bad news indeed...
  3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    They pulled almost all stores from USA not long ago. Used to have one about 40 mins from my house. Now I think Chicago is the closest one. And it's a joke. Wouldn't be surprised it it's closed now too. I can't remember but I think the three story Madison Ave location in NYC is one of the last amazing brick and mortar locations close enough to visit. But if I'm going all the way to NYC I'll probably spend most of my shopping time in B&H

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.
  4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    They figured that maintaining a store while not being considered a premium brand anymore is not a smart expense. They sell through resellers, mainly. I still think my Bravia TV is better than my Samsung TV but not 20% better..
  5. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    so this is now Radio shack and Target and Sony. interesting
  6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, Target's Canada expansion has often been used as a great example of a company whose management has their head deep inside their collective rectum. In and out in 2 years.

And RadioShack is competing with every online retailer out there... I am surprised Best Buy is still in business.