1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony PMB (Picture Motion Browser)...or...Play Memories ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Jun 14, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    To transfer my photos and videos from an SD card to my PC, I've just been using the PMB software that came with my NEX-7.
    About a week ago, I began getting this pop-up about PMB support ending in September and asking if I wanted to migrate to Play Memories.
    I assume just because 'support is ending' for PMB I don't have to stop using it...it's all local and has never given any problems.
    And was wondering if anyone has used both PMB and Play Memories...to know if Play Memories represents a major change and learning curve all over again?

As it is, I only use PMB for 2 purposes: 1) Import images from the SD card...and 2) Trim the occasional video before importing it;

I really don't do much photo post processing at all, other than some cropping, and occasionally a step of contrast...and I do all that just using the few basic controls in Microsoft Windows after I import the photos to a folder.

This is the pop-up that I've begin getting:

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Um, never used either. I just drag and drop into a folder on my laptop.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sure could...but do you do any videos?
    And if so, if you drag & drop those video files as is, what software do you use to trim / save a frame as a .jpeg? etc?

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just shot a quick test video and dragged / dropped it into Windows. Then right mouse clicked on it, selected PLAY, and Windows Media popped up and opened / played it OK
    BUT.....none of the Windows imbedded media players seem to have quite the features that PMB does for video.
    An obvious one being the ability to step through a video frame by frame and select / save a frame as a .jpeg image.
    Unless / until I can find a Windows imbedded way to do that I guess I'll stick with PMB for now.

Still hoping to heard from anyone with first hand experience with Play Memories

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I really don't do a lot of video's, nor edit the ones I do have.

6. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    There's not much differences between PMB and Play Memories. Play Memories offers more camera support than PMB, but its editor feels kinda slower than PMB. I don't know about its video capability since I rarely shoot videos.

If you need to extract individual frames as jpegs from a video why not try Media Player Classic or VLC. Both have that capability.