Sony PCK-LM1EA Semi-Hard Screen Protector - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dioptrick, May 24, 2012.

1. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I've always been unsure as to what to do to protect the LCD screen on my NEX-5N. Because the 5N LCD is a touch screen (I do find the touch-focus feature very useful) I didn't think I could cover it with a clear adhesive film protector. On one of my legacy adapter purchases, the seller threw in a free (cheap copy obviously) solid plastic clip-on protector which arrived cracked (presumably from bad handling during shipping). I put it on just to try it out, but I left it on because the edge clasps make it easier to flick the LCD screen out. The pic below shows how bad it is, not the crack but rather a "rainbow-esque" spectral glare coming off it at an angle. The touch-focus no longer worked so I turned the touch screen feature off.

Protector03.

Then I stumbled across the Sony PCK-LM1EA Semi-Hard Protector at a local auction. Although it was 1 of 3 protectors listed in the Sony website, there was no mention that any of these were made specifically for the 5N. Anyway, the packaging on this one did say that it's for the NEX7, 5N, C3 and a SLT-A35... but once again, there's no reference as to whether or not the touch-screen would work with it on.

Protector01.

Protector02.
    Here it is inside the packaging (adhesive side up), the greenish tint is only a backing film. The protector itself is clear.

Protector04.
    Here it is - already installed. No spectral glare but it's still glossy so it's reflecting the textured table surface...

Protector05.
    Can't even tell that there's a protector on. The small Sony logo at the bottom is actually printed on the protector itself.

So, does the touch-focus feature work with it on? The answer is YES!!

The picture seems to be much clearer and brighter compared to the cheap solid plastic clip-on protector, and it's not as glarey when the screen is on. The Sony website mentioned that it is anti-reflective for better viewing under direct light, so I was hoping it was going to have a "matt" surface finish to eliminate reflections - but no, it's as glossy as the LCD screen. It's re-attachable according to the packaging, but I didn't have to find out as I got it right the first time.

I like it - but if Sony is listening, I'd like to see a "matt" version of this protector. But for now, it's a keeper and I'm switching touch screen back on. :)

2. Adwers

Adwers TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Warsaw, Poland
    Adam
    Thank You very much for this review!

I just wondered about which protector should I use.

Now I've ordered PCK-LM1EA :)