Sony OVF

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Travisennis, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I am curious to hear from people who have used the OVF that Sony makes for their 16mm lens. First, is it a quality OVF? I am also wondering if anyone has modified it so that it can take other viewfinders. Finally, I heard reports that when it is mounted it causes or allows the LCD to be turned off and I was someone might confirm that.
  2. DaveL

DaveL New to TalkEmount

Aug 21, 2011
    Travis, my experience with my LX5 may help. Added the electronic view finder, because I expected I would need it to use video when skiing on sunny days. So sequence of use was:
    take out camera
    take out evf in carry case
    remove evf from case
    remove plastic filler piece from hotshoe, and stow in case
    put evf in hotshoe, and turn camera on
    remove lenscap and press button
    pres button on evf

take photo or video if subject was still around

do everything in reverse order, and put camera away.
    Go skiing.

Frankly it took the fun out of using the camea! I was concerned the camera was too fragile with the evf in the hotshoe ewhen I was skiing.

final concern? The evf wasn't worth much for trade in!

3. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Thanks, Dave, but I've actually used EVF's before. In fact, I've owned and used the same EVF you describe, except I used it with my GF-1. And I agree with many of your concerns, although I eventually got to a point where I didn't worry so much about the EVF and just left it on. It was sturdier that you might imagine.

My question was about the specific Sony OVF.

Oh, and I don't think I have welcomed you to the forum. It's good to have you here.