Sony Officially Announces A7 / A7R and FE Lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011

Sony has officially announced the A7 / A7R as well as the new FE lenses.

All of the details were leaked pre-announcement, and there were no major surprises. These two new cameras are the first mirrorless cameras outside of Leica M to offer 35mm full frame sensors.

The A7R has a 36MP sensor with no AA filter and contrast-detect only autofocus, while the A7 has a 24MP sensor with an AA filter and offers on-chip phase detection autofocus.

The A7 will be sold body-only for $1699 or with 28-70 f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens for $1999. The A7R will only be sold body-only for $2299. Expected availability for both: December, 2013.

Existing E mount lenses will function on these new cameras but will not illuminate the entire sensor. The following new FE lenses have been announced:

• 35mm F2.8 Carl Zeiss - $799 - Expected December 2013
    • 55mm F1.8 Carl Zeiss - $999 - Expected January 2014
    • 24-70mm F4 Carl Zeiss OSS - $1199 - Expected February 2014
    • 70-200mm F4 Sony G OSS - Pricing and availability not yet announced

This means that at launch, the 35mm f/2.8 prime will be the only available native FE lens for A7R users, while A7 users will have a kit zoom and the option to buy the 35mm prime.

Launch video from Sony Australia:

For exhaustive coverage of the new Sony announcments, visit 1001 Noisy Cameras

Pre-order links (B&H):

Sony A7 Digital Camera (24MP)
    $1,698 Available for Pre-Order

Sony A7R Digital Camera (36MP)
    $2,298 Available for Pre-Order

Sony A7 Digital Camera with 28-70mm Lens
    $1,998 Available for Pre-Order

Sony 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS Lens
    $1,198 Available for Pre-Order

Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Lens
    $798 Available for Pre-Order

Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Lens
    $998 Available for Pre-Order
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I like that Sony is pushing this further, looks to be a good camera, but just not for me. Sample images are impressive, but they usually are.

More excited about the continuing lens lineup.

Reason 1- Size. I still like the smallness of the original line. I don't want anything bigger.

Reason 2 Price. I have NO interest in spending that much on a camera. There are those willing to spend that much, but it's gonna be a hard sell.
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    One small thing I haven't found anything about yet: does it offer electronic first curtain? I use it all the time on my NEX-6 and I expect it to be even more beneficial on the A7(r) because of the larger shutter curtains generating more vibration.

I need a few things coming before I even think of getting an A7(r): Lightroom raw support, RRS mounting plate and DxO measurements (yep, I go by them, not their ratings but the actual measurement data). And I'm afraid I'll be hugely disappointed by the performance of my Minolta wide-angle lenses given that they already show significant deterioration of corner sharpness on the NEX-6's sensor. Not to mention the extra weight of the equivalent setup to the one I use now (NEX-6, E 10-18mm, Sigma E 30/2.8 & 60/2.8, E 55-210mm). OTOH, I can hardly think of a better low-light snapshot camera than an A7 with a Voigtländer 40/1.4.
  5. Pixl10

Pixl10 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    No IBIS? So sad....
  6. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
  7. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Lenses have OSS, why IBIS? And with 50/1,4 you can use 1/50s instead of 1/75s for apsc sized senzors, so where is the problem?
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    This is what I've been really waiting for. Saving my pennies...

Anyone need a kidney? ;)
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Let me check... Nope, still have two! :p

About the only thing that will stop me from getting one of these (most likely the A7) is if Sony comes up with a significant update to the NEX-6, and within the next few months.

Now that the NEX name is officially history, my guess is that the NEX-7 and NEX-6 lines will morph into some sort of A6 line, together with an A5 and A3 line replacing the current NEX-3 through NEX-7. If they can keep the same basic RF form factor, replace the menus with the RX-1/A7 menus, upgrade the sensor, and get rid of all the maddening shortcomings such as no timer bracketing or custom settings, then I might be tempted to stay in the APS-C world. Otherwise...

Either way, as of today I've started to sock away any extra cash.
  10. Pixl10

Pixl10 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Sony A7

Just the size factor. Primes will be ok but the zooms are going to be big and perhaps oddly balanced.. maybe
  11. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
  12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Hmmmm… a 14/2.8 sounds interesting as hell. :)
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    I agree, I think that we very likely will see some sort of merging of the NEX-6 and NEX-7 into an NEX-6x or A6. The A3000 is perhaps a hint that the pixel count on the lower end bodies will bump up to 20 megapixels, with the 6/7-series sitting at 24 megapixels and getting/retaining the hybrid OSPDAF and other 6 and 7 features and capabilities. But I think the jury is still out as to whether they'll keep the NEX name around for the 3-, 5- and 6-series.

Will the naming for ILC cameras be something like this:

AXXXX for E-mount, DSLR-style bodies;
    AXX for A-mount, DSLR-style bodies; and
    AX for E-mount, compact bodies?

Or will Sony retain NEX-X for entry and mid-range E-mount, compact bodies and use AX for premium/pro E-mount, compact bodies?
  14. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    That's exactly the problem. I don't want a 6/7-merge, and 24 MP doesn't sound that great either. Back when the NEX-7 was the flagship, there was at least the chance Sony would bump the resolution to 32 MP or so, but now, with the A7, this possibility is gone. The highest end APS-C NEX will now always be lower specced than the lowest end A7, which definitely means nothing good for customers.
  15. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
  16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I know your dilemma, Poki. Back when I was using µ4/3 gear I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Olympus or Panasonic to release my ideal camera. They never did. Well, the GX7 would have done it for me, but it came a year too late; I was long gone and had sold all of my µ4/3 stuff.

Perhaps Sony will surprise us all. Lord knows they surprised a lot of people today.
  17. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Maybe. I certainly hope so. Waiting over a year for a camera to be announced just sucks - especially since it was "SR5" for a launch in april back then ... Maybe I'll grab a NEX-7 when I find a good deal, we'll see.
  18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I haven't read physical sizes for A7/A7r bigger are these compared to the Nex-6 and Nex-7?