1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Offers Service to Address NEX-5N Clicking Issue

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Screen Shot 2011-09-25 at 9.00.30 AM.
    Note that the service will "improve" (not necessarily eliminate) the clicking and that it is only offered during the limited warranty period.

[via DPReview]

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I have mixed feelings about this "fix" from Sony. As stated, it doesn't completely fix/eliminate the clicking sound problem. One of the major features that Sony advertises with the NEX cameras is the ability to shoot quality video ... And that isn't happening if your audio is full of clicking noises.

I really hope this problem is completely resolved (absolutely NO clicking noise) in the NEX-7. I'm spending a ton of money on the NEX-7 kit with 18-55, the 24mm Zeiss and the 50mm OSS. If I can't shoot a short video clip without the audio being messed up then I am going to be angry.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I actually don't care about the clicking, but it irritates me that there exists a repair service and that it is confined to the warranty period. If there is a defect, they should extend the warranty related to that defect. Otherwise those of us who don't care enough to have it fixed will have issues with resale value after the warranty expires.

4. Janis

Janis New to TalkEmount

Sep 22, 2011
    TX
    I agree with both JJJ and Amin. This is completely unsatisfactory. They need to fix it perfectly and do so for any camera with the problem, anytime. An apparently universal defect like this should never be limited to the warranty period.

5. Djarum

Djarum TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Companies in general don't care about customers reselling their equipment.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I once had a Leica Digilux 2, of which Panasonic made a version, the LC1. Both used a faulty sensor from Sony, and both companies extended their warranties many years to cover sensor failure. Once they couldn't get the sensor supply any more, Leica started to offer massive trade in value (similar to the new price paid) for the Digilux 2 towards a Leica M8. All the other companies which used that faulty Sony sensor did similar.

7. Djarum

Djarum TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Amin,

I understand what you are saying, but generally that's not the case. I've seen where 4000 dollar TV's had faulty power supplies, and the company would replace them free of charge. Many people didn't have problems, but thought about what if they wanted to resell their TV. The company did not do anything about extending the warranty, or at least, that part of the TV. It ended up being up to the customer to get that part fixed before the end of the standard warranty period.

I can understand Leica doing this since they have a reputation to uphold. Not so much with Panasonic. My suggestion is if folks want to resell the camera with the fix in place, go ahead and have it done even if its not an issue at the moment.

8. allofthelights

allofthelights TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    When will they start offering this outside the US? This is holding back my purchase.