Sony NEX -> lens mm size and type

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Grebox, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Grebox

Grebox New to TalkEmount

Nov 10, 2014

can you please help me with clarification of the NEX-3N lens size specification.

Currently I use original 40.5mm wide lens (or this relates to filter size?), can I use 49mm or 52mm lenses on NEX-3N?

Where can I find info about NEX 3N lens sizes, compatibility and is it required to use ring adapter?

My assumption is that picture quality will be better if lens filter size is larger...? :crying:

Would it make sense if I invest in "Mount Adapter Ring For Tamron Screw Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX-3" on e-bay to connect my Tamron 18 - 200 lens?

Thank you very much for your advice's .
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Welcome. Your question needs some clarification also.

Are you asking lens filter thread (in front of the lens) to put filters on your lenses or are you asking the adapters (between the camera and lens) to attach different mount lenses? What are the lenses that you have and what is the mount eg nex e-mount or m42 screw lens?

Here is info on the lens mount sizes (opening behind the lens/on the camera):

And here is all the native e-mount nex lenses (that doesn't need any adapters on nex cameras):

and when I check Tamron 18-200mm e-mount lens specifications, it has 62mm filter thread to mount any filters eg UV, neutral density, etc to protect the lens, etc.

You can always use bigger threaded filters eg 62mm using an step up ring from the smaller lens threads...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Hey! Welcome !

Filter size does not relate to image quality, start by referring to the link provided by serhan on different mounts, then ID the mount of your Tamron 18-200, if you have a e-mount lens, you do not need any adapter, if you have a different mount, Its very likely that you can find an adapter for using it on E mount cameras.

Here is a good summary on available E Mount lenses:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grebox

Grebox New to TalkEmount

Nov 10, 2014
    Thank you for helping me. It seems to me that I am confused with Ø of the lenses. I do not understand can I attach larger Ø of e-mount lenses to NEX-3N.

1) I am asking about original lens on NEX-N3 , E3.5-5.6/PZ 16-50 OSS --> Ø40.5 mm
    2) I am asking about adapter to connect Tamron 18-200 lens on NEX-3N and is this makes sense.

Question is also can I replace original Ø40.5 mm lens on NEX-3N with E-mount lens having Ø49mm or Ø50.2mm ? And will this make any sense regarding quality of pictures or any other advance?

Thank you.
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    You still seem to be confused about things.

The 3N is like all e-mount cameras, it works with all e-mount lenses. The size of the lens is irrelevant in terms of working. It may matter to you cosmetically or comfort wise at larger lenses may look and feel unwieldy on such a small camera.
    You seem referring to the size (40.5, 49, 55mm) of the filter thread on various lenses. This has nothing to do with the camera mount. It generally is related to the size of the front element. This is only relevant if you plan to use filters such as a Ultra Violet, Polarizer, Neutral Density, etc.
    Understand the filter thread size is different from the focal length (50mm, 105mm, 55-210mm) of a lens. The Tamron you mention covers a focal length from 18 to 200. I don't know what the filter thread is, but it is irrelevant to the camera mount.

Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grebox

Grebox New to TalkEmount

Nov 10, 2014
    Thank you.

I am trying to ask can I replace current 40,5mm lens with 49mm lens which are also e-mount but used for example on NEX-5 or NEX-7 ?

Lens for NEX-5 or NEX-7 are using 49mm Ø lenses as I understand , does it means that I need adapter to connect those lens on NEX-3 ?

7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Any lens that is E-mount will fit on any camera that is E-mount.

The E-mount name specifies the size of the mount on the back of the lens.

The 40.5mm or 49mm size you are talking about is a thread on the front of the lens. This is for attaching filters to the front of the lens. If you don't have any lens filters, don't worry about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jai

Feb 4, 2013
  9. Grebox

Grebox New to TalkEmount

Nov 10, 2014
    Unfortunately no. Mine is : Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro

This means I need adapter, right?
  10. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, that means you do need an adapter.

We still need to work out what mount your lens is though. It could be Canon EF, Nikon F (DX), Pentax KAF or Sony/Minolta Alpha.

The guy who sold it to you on Ebay would have surely mentioned which lens mount system it was designed for.
  11. Grebox

Grebox New to TalkEmount

Nov 10, 2014
    I still did not purchased adapter as tamron and sony lens I am using on SONY Alpha 200. As I purchased NEX-3N , wondering can I connect and use those lens on NEX and will this make any sense in regard of picture quality or any other aspect.

I plan to purchase "Mount Adapter Ring For Tamron Screw Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX-3" on e-bay to connect my Tamron 18 - 200 lens ... if there is no other solution.

Basically NEX-3n is OK camera but it is painfully slow when extracting and powering it off (seems this is usual e-mount lens model problem).

Also, as I stated already, doubt came with size of e-mount lenses in front where I see mine is 40,5mm and other models (NEX-5) are using bigger front element of 49mm which makes me believe that because front element is wider also pictures are better as much more light will come trough wider 49mm lenses ....

Thank you.
  12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    If your Tamron 18-200 mounted easily onto a Sony Alpha A200 without any adapter, then to mount it on a NEX-3N or any E-mount camera you will need an adapter, but not the one for Screw Lenses that you mention. Sony makes several adapters specifically designed to adapt Sony A-mount lenses (like those for your Alpha A200) to the E-mount on NEX cameras. The adapters you want to look for have model numbers LA-EA1 and LA-EA2. The LA-EA2 has the added benefit of providing full autofocus ability on most all Sony/Minolta A-mount lenses going back into the late 1980s.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    There's some very basic information about lenses that you don't yet appear to understand. The filter size on the front of a lens has little relationship to the amount of light available to the camera's sensor. For that information, you need to look at the f-stop of the lens. For instance, a f/1.8 lens with a 40mm front element will let in much, much more light than a f/4 lens with a 72mm front element.

If I were you, I would take a pause before buying any more lenses or camera gear and try to learn some very basic things about photography. Otherwise you may end up spending a lot of money on stuff you can't use.
    • Like Like x 4