• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony NEX lens database

Vidar

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Vidar
Thanks for this great informative post. I have just picked up a nicely used Nex 7 with kit zoom so this is great help for me when deciding what lens to get next.

Think I am gonna go for the Sony 35mm, and then maybe the 50mm..

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
-- updated to add the new Sony 16-105mm f/4G PZ, Sony Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 16-70mm f/4 as well as the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 --

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks for the updates. Here is a size comparison of new lenses to the old ones from SAR:

nex5t_and_new_lenses_zpsb941d5d9.jpg
   ---            

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hmm.. the Zeiss zoom looks tempting, but I'm not gonna carry the weight of it in addition to my primes, especially once the 50mm Touit is available.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yes, the range is nice but it is bigger then most of the Sony lenses. I'll wait and see. Lots of new products are coming this fall, incl FF Nex...

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yes, the range is nice but it is bigger then most of the Sony lenses. I'll wait and see. Lots of new products are coming this fall, incl FF Nex...

Nah, it's pretty small for a high quality zoom with this range actually. Still, no need to have a zoom that covers the same range as my primes with me, especially as it's slower and probably of lower optical quality.

As for the "FF NEX" ... I don't care about that. After buying the 50mm Touit and the NEX-7 successor, I'm pretty much done with my setup (yeah, a fast portrait lens as well as a high quality tele zoom are still missing, but so what). I don't feel limited in any way by the APS-C sized sensors, so I see no reason shelling out even more money just to get a sensor double the size of mine. When the medium format NEX comes around ... well, that's a different story.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
-- updated the database with a huge amount of links, will continue to add links today --

-- planned update: second post will be built to be a database for FE lenses, similar to the one for APS-C E-Mount lenses which is already there --

-- planned update: including Metascores of both professional reviews and user reviews (by Amazon & co.) --

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the updates. Here is a size comparison of new lenses to the old ones from SAR:

nex5t_and_new_lenses_zpsb941d5d9.jpg
   ---            

This size comparison is not right. I think the perspective is off. I looked at the SELP18105G, it's actually around the size of the 55210 but wider. And the 16-70 is a little larger than the sel50f18. I am not sure what's going on with that picture.

Here's a real picture

8ybeduby.jpg
   ---            

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
This size comparison is not right. I think the perspective is off. I looked at the SELP18105G, it's actually around the size of the 55210 but wider. And the 16-70 is a little larger than the sel50f18. I am not sure what's going on with that picture.

Thanks for pointing this out. I know that by now, but the picture up there was literally the first time we've seen the 16-70, which was not the best way to show it off, Sony ...

If I ever have so much money left, I might consider buying it. The 50mm Touit, a 85mm portrait prime and the 70-200 are higher on my list than that thing, though.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for pointing this out. I know that by now, but the picture up there was literally the first time we've seen the 16-70, which was not the best way to show it off, Sony ...

If I ever have so much money left, I might consider buying it. The 50mm Touit, a 85mm portrait prime and the 70-200 are higher on my list than that thing, though.

Ahh! Money get's in the way of everyone's fun.

Initially, I was turned off by all the talk of how big these lenses are. I was caught up in the negativity inertia, but people have unrealistic expectations. I never saw them or compared them to anything else in the APS-C class. Now that I understand a bit more, I would say booth these standard zooms are relatively compact. You have to consider the constant F/4 aperture, OSS, build quality and the range they cover. I would also point out that not only does the G have power zoom, but the zoom is done internally. I may pick up the G in the coming weeks.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yeah, it has been the same since the introduction of the first NEX. People complained how big the 18-200 was. Heck, they even complained on how big the 18-55 was - and honestly, that thing is about the same size as any not-pancake kit zoom. Even the 18-200 has a nice size and weight, and I even would have that one in my collection if money was no thing.

But hey, having fun with what we have already is a ton of fun. And I like fun. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom