'Sony NEX Full Frame Coming?'

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Thanks for this, I'll be very excited if this pans out!
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Thanks, I just spewed Coke all over the desk after seeing that. :eek::D
  3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    LOL : D : D : D very good
  4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Haha... ooops, sorry... :eek:

Well, there's no other fitting response I could think of for that rumour, lol.
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Absolutely fits! It just made me laugh with my mouth full. ;)
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    That's amazing if it pans out, I wonder what's Sony's strategy with their current range of emount lenses though as they're not made to cover a full frame sensor.
  7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I thought about that too... if it's true (big if) maybe Sony will have to release full frame lenses for it. I'm sure they can electronically program the new body to recognize the "little brother" E-Series lenses which would then automatically crop down the sensor image to the smaller APS-C size... but allow the full sensor size for the new full frame lenses. That's IF (big if again) the full frame NEX will utilize the standard NEX E-mount bayonet.

If that's the case, I wonder if Sony will also allow a manual over-ride so that we can choose the smaller sensor size and the full sensor size for our non-dedicated legacy lenses... they BETTER do it or else!! Lol! :)
  8. Halka

Halka TalkEmount Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    Ľubomír Brindza
    I'm not sure it's physically possible to keep the flange distance as it is and just 'upscale the glass' to cover the FF sensor. Then again, they might just try and slap a 1:1 aspect sensor in it and claim it has the correct diagonal :D
  9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I imagine this is the hybrid Alpha/E mount camera that has been a rumor for a while. Alpha mount lenses would work as full frame. E-mount lenses probably won't cover the full frame, but I hope that Sony does not automatically switch to the cropped section of the sensor; I would want to have as much of the image as possible - Let it vignette! Let it come out like a circular fish-eye shot! Let me choose what I want to crop out of the resulting image. Sure, choose the correct exposure based on the smaller size, but don't trash the data!
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I don't think the flange distance matters when it comes to a mirrorless design. You can always incorporate more flange distance into the lens. The only limiting factor is the width of the mount compared to the size of the sensor.
  11. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Great photo, I would title it "Ex-Static". Given all the second guessing about full size sensor mirrorless cameras, I can only hope, as it would solve my landscape, wide lens requirements nicely.
    Would love to see your photo as a square, cropping the right side. Hope you shot in RAW.