sony nex-f3 on tripod

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jan 10, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    The trick is to not "hit the button" but to squeeze it........

.......Place your thumb under the camera and your index finger on the shutter button...then gently squeeze the two together....result; no movement of camera when shutter trips.

You can increase the stability of any tripod by adding weight...the best way to do that is by making up a loop of string which can pass over the camera and hang around the legs of the tripod...now hook your camera bag or similar so the the extra weight is supended below the legs. You can actually buy a mesh bag for this so that a boulder or similar can be used...however, anything with some weight can be used like this to give stability.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Or use self timer.

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    +1 to the weight and timer options.

My tripod actually has a hook directly below the mount between the legs - its very handy for hanging gear bag on save it getting damp on the ground and this as stated adds a significant amount of stability.
    I have also used the timer option a few times, including when I was making a shadow in the photo by standing behind the camera...
    It also depends greatly on what you are shooting - for example, night shots with 30 second exposure, a slight jiggle as you press the shutter will have no effect on the resulting image...

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It also depends about lens (500mm Panagor I just got won't like 1 second exposure times even with timer) and tripod.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Good advice.

Also you can set it for a delayed shutter 3 to 5 seconds after you press the shutter.

7. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    So what are your achievable shutter speeds for still life over a tripod? Give roughly focal lengthes and shutter speeds.
    For example 500mm and 1 second it will not work. So what is gonna work?

A.

8. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    There are so many variables - I would suggest you just experiment with the kit you have and see what works for you.

9. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    500mm and 1 second can work, if your camera and tripod are stable enough. After all that's what tripods are for right? They let you use shutter speed that otherwise cannot be achieved handheld.