1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Nex and auto-exposure bracketing

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by derrickakelly, Sep 16, 2011.

1. derrickakelly

derrickakelly New to TalkEmount

Sep 16, 2011
    Hi, I recently read on a thread at dpreview that the Nex was limited to a bracketing range of (+/-) 2/3 stop. This is fine if you are just using bracketing as a safety measure for capturing the best exposure but what if you want to do a 5 bracket HDR image at -2,-1,0,1,2? I'm not talking about auto-hdr here - I'm talking about mounting the camera on a tripod and taking 5 separate raw exposures and post-processing them using HDR software like photomatix.

What would be the most efficient way to do this with a Nex? With my Canon, I've set up a custom function to shoot -2,0,2 and another custom function to shoot -1,0,1 so I can get my 5 shots with just 1 turn of the dial. Is there a way to do something similar with the Nex?

Thanks for any responses.

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I usually put the camera on 'manual' and then adjust exposure how I like,...alternatively, why not put the camera on 'A',..ie aperture priority, decide your aperture, and adjust the shutter sppeds using the exposure correction facility?

EDIT; ...just had a play with the camera and exposure can be adjusted (in 'A') with the wheel to plus/minus 2 stops in 1/3 stop increments,...so more than enough for most work without going to 'manual'.

3. neodraig

neodraig TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    The bracket mode of the NEX sucks man.
    It is completly useless if you want to create your own HDR pictures.

The only solution is to take a set of pictures with different exposures manually, not the most convenient thing to do.

The worst for me is that the auto-HDR mode allows the camera to up to +-6EV, so why limiting the bracket mode to +-0.7EV which that's completly useless in my opinion. Even if you don't do HDR pictures, changing the exposure of a picture by +-1EV when shooting RAW with a proper editing software is not a problem.

It could be so easily fixed with a firmware update and people would be so happy.
    Just check my post about that:

https://www.talkemount.com/f10/what-would-you-like-fixed-improved-nex-308/

4. derrickakelly

derrickakelly New to TalkEmount

Sep 16, 2011
    I'm wondering if it's possible to save several different custom functions - eg. the first could be -0.67,0,0.67 in A-mode, the second could be the same but with a -2ev compensation and another with +2ev compensation? Would that work?