Sony NEX A7 and A7r in two days

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by andyxy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    Check out verge.com and read more

Sony Full frame NEX camera.
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1381765104.975156.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Also some more specs on Sony Alpha Rumors, Mirrorless rumors, etc.

Looks like another industrial functional design from Sony. Waiting for the reviews now. Hopefully it has customizable Auto ISO with min shutter speed. One of the shortcomings with my Nex 7. It says the UI is more like the RX system.

3. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    Yup the rumor said the interface is like the RX1

4. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think I somehow like the design - different from what current Nex is, reminds me of other camera brand though...

IF those prices on SAR are correct, then I think they are very expensive!!!

6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    From dpreview posts:

"According to the leaked PDF, the 35mm lens is 61.5mm in diameter. I imported the image into an image editor and the top plate is close to 2x the diameter of the lens, so the camera should be around 123mm wide (plus or minus a bit); the NEX-7 is 120mm."

and one photo w/ 50mm ZM planar:
    [​IMG]

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Not interested in FF NEXes, I hope they'll release the NEX-7 successor too in two days. Nice size though, and that 70-200mm f/4 lens looks good too.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I had no interest in FF NEXs either. But I'm thinking the A7R in crop mode with my 10-18, 24Z and Sigma 60, while slowly transitioning to FF lenses makes some sense for a landscape shooter with a NEX-6 like me. The price is way too high for me, but if I start saving now, maybe the street price will have dropped down into the not-so-insane range by the time the motorcycle trip season starts up again in the spring. Can you imagine what you could shoot in Death Valley with a camera like that in your tank bag?

But there's no way I'm going to be putting this kind of luxury purchase on a credit card. :D

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, I actually think APS-C cameras are better than full frame cameras, at least for my needs. I won't go into details all over again, but let's just say why shouldn't there be both - a high-end APS-C NEX as well as the A7/A7r?

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No reason I can come up with, other than perhaps lack of resources on Sony's part. But I hope you get your wish, Poki. I'd also be very interested in a significant upgrade to the NEX-6 instead of one of these, as I have no interest in the NEX-7 because of the WA shortcomings of its sensor.

But I'm guessing that, assuming Sony didn't really screw things up somehow with some yet-to-be-disclosed detail of these two new cameras, they are going to sell like popsicles in hell. So Sony may not have much impetus to spend a lot of time on the NEX line. Time will tell.

11. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Last year Sony RX1 / RX100 were the big moneymakers for Sony per their presentations where the photo market was squeezed, so they are going to an area where there is hardly any competition other then $7000 Leica M. APSC area has very tough competition. They are giving the nex's nearly free w/ a lens. Like David said they are the only company trying to compete in multiple areas eg against Canikon, Leica, m43, Fuji, Samsung, etc. So I don't know how fast the FF lenses will be coming also. Still I don't see much Zeiss 16-70mm in US unless you preorder it. In crop mode 36MP AA'less sensor will give 16MP AA'less apsc sensor...

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm not gonna spend more than two grand for 16 MP APS-C camera (when using it in crop mode), and I definitely want more than 16 MP (32 on APS-C would be nice). But at least I can imagine prices for 'like new' NEX-7 bodies will fall eventually below €600 after the launch of the ff bodies.

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've also been wondering this from when I read the news about the FF Nex - what will happen to the APS-C Nex line and development???

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Considering they just launched the 16-70mm f/4 Zeiss lens (which brings the total of Zeiss APS-C E-Mount lenses launched JUST this year to FOUR!) I don't think they'll suddenly stop development. I'm just a little bit nervous because there hasn't been a single rumor about a high end APS-C NEX body for months now, and all the old rumors turned out to be false ...

15. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hm. Is that correct, serhan? I had assumed that the 36MP sensor would work out to 24MP in crop mode. :hmmm:

Math never was my strong suit. :rolleyes:

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's actually just 15,41 MP as an APS-C sized sensor is 42,8% the size of a ff sensor.

17. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, that's less attractive then, isn't it? :frown:

18. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    You can use apsc lenses in ff mode and cut it also... It should work w/ some lenses if there is no rectangle at the back of the lens. Yes, it is not as useful as a nex-7 alternative. I guess we will see lots of testing as it is uncharted territory esp w/ new improved sensors. I am wondering how my CV 12mm will work or at least OM 21mm f/3.5 will give me wide enough option w/ no distortion...

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I think Sony should just stick a new sensor and the new EVF into the NEX-7 body, correct for the minor flaws it had and sell it again for €999 - everyone would be happy this way.

As for the CV 12mm - I'm afraid it's not a very good lens on digital sensors ... The 21mm should work fine though.