Sony NEX-7 Reviews

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The Luminous Landscape is doing a rolling review of the NEX-7 (Thanks, Pelao)

Amateur Photographer (UK magazine) also has a new full review of the NEX-7. It isn't available online, but you can tell from the cover that they liked it. I've purchased a copy and can tell you that reviews don't come much more positive that this!

Amateur_Photographer_2011-11-19_www.storemags.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    NEX-7, gimme, gimme, gimme! :D

3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Don't trust or give credance to ANYTHING you might read in 'AP',...it's a 'comic' value read only! 'AP' is well and truly in the pockets of the photo industry and everything is always wonderful, especially when you are getting it free and gratis on the understanding of liking it,..a lot!....and the advertising revenue keeps everyone at 'AP' in a job.

Over the years plenty of people have tried to question 'AP' content and their fatuous smooth overs have been legendary,....One of the best was the introduction of the Canon 400D with UK price the same digits as the US price (2.2 dollars to the pound at the time) making more than TWICE the price in UK. 'AP' dealt with the sacks of protesting mail by claiming it was justified because of "better marketing and consumer laws in UK".....

4. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Lmao!! :D sounds like every photo mag here in OZ, where you can usually find the words "Our biggest..", "The most comprehensive...", "The most complete...", "Our best issue ever", etc..

5. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Sounds like every photo mag everywhere - the power of advertising.

It's a shame that AP has gone the same way. I haven't seen it in years but it used to have a pretty good reputation.

6. adanac

adanac TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    What I appreciate from the cover shot of that issue is how the Canon 1DX body overwhelms the size of the lens, as opposed to the NEX family of camera where most claim the opposite.

(Not that the Zeiss 24 looks out of place at all on the NEX-7 in that photo)

7. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I reckon seeing someone using a Canon 1DX for street photography as a sight to see.

8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thank Amin. I am following LL updates. He also updated with the DXO score which is very good.

Here is the comparison of Nex 7, 5n and 5 dxo scores:

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

It will be a perfect landscape camera. Too bad it is not as good as c3/5n with wide RF lenses per Steve's tests. That pushed me to cheaper nex-5n. I like the color and contrast I am getting from VC 12mm in comparison to Sony 16mm. I don't know what LL will report on that esp after seeing he was using VC 12mm on his 5n.

9. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Thanks Serhan, this is a good quick overview to everyone upgrading or downgrading to the NEX-5, 5N and 7.

NEX-7, gimme, gimme, gimme ;)

10. frankmarin

frankmarin TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 31, 2011
    Stopped reading photo magazines long long time ago.

11. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    That's a good way to cure GAS.

12. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  13. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Considering that the 24mm Summilux is considered by many as the benchmark to what a 24mm focal should be, it's really fascinating how the CZ 24mm 1.8 compares to it overall. It's not a cheap lens but when one considers that it is being compared to a lens that costs $7000+ it is a bargain for what it is (though I have to say, a bargain that I still can't afford). This lens would probably garner the praise and popularity that has so far eluded the NEX's native lenses.

14. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Legacy Wide Angle Lenses Update

A NEX-7 / NEX-5n Comparison

Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

As expected:
    But then:

15. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I think it's more on the wide angle legacy lenses like 28mm and below.

16. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  17. hisel

hisel New to TalkEmount

Dec 14, 2011
    Emmmmm how long need to wait... Nex 7

18. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I chose the "7" for the megas so I hope that it doesn't perform
    worse on my old Canon FD lenses than the 5N. My reasoning
    was that I get a 2X crop factor with my current M4/3 cameras.
    By going NEX I'm losing .5 crop range (telephoto) and the 5N
    only gained 4 megas over my G1. Going to 24 would allow more
    crop per shot if needed but that won't be good if the quality
    isn't there.

19. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yes, standards and telephotos are fine.

Apparently 'symmetric design' wide angle legacies are more likely to cause magenta cast at the corners because the light coming off the back element hits the sensor surface (near the edges) at an angle rather than straight-on. Not a problem when exposing film emulsions, but this 'angle of incidence' issue is affecting the NEX7 more due to the greater megapixel array of its sensor. Nothing wrong with the NEX7, as Sony didn't exactly design the camera specifically for legacy lenses that were made for film. Newer wide angle legacies with more modern element construction are less likely to cause this problem.

Although less susceptible, the 5N seems to also exhibit this same anomaly even with an 'aspheric' if the focal length is too extreme, so it's just a matter of being careful when it comes to selecting wide angle legacy lenses for the NEX.

Magenta Cast with Wide Angle lens Voigtlander M 15mm f/4.5 on NEX5-N. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

20. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Photo Mags are victims of their advertisers. They don't dare say anything too negative for fear of losing full page ads.