Sony nex 7 - image playback- zoom slow?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Steven Jones, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Steven Jones

Steven Jones New to TalkEmount

Apr 17, 2013
    I've had my Sony nex 7 for atleast six months and I am just trying to figure out if this is just something I ignored and just realized or if its something that just started but when I go into playback to review images and when I zoom into the image to check focus, it takes a second to zoom in.

It seems weird to me that I'm just now noticing this, I'm thinking maybe I'm being crazy and this was the way it always was but maybe I'm not.

Alternatively I bought the zeiss 24mm and it's an amazing lens, can't wait to use it on a shoot.
  2. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    This happens to me when I'm shooting RAW (as opposed to RAW+JPG, or JPG, where zoom is instantaneous). The camera seems to be building a JPG preview prior to zooming in, and this causes the latency you describe.
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Hey Steven, welcome to the forum. :)

I noticed the lag as well, but since I don't shoot jpgs I just assumed it was the camera. radimere has set me straight on that. ;)
  4. Steven Jones

Steven Jones New to TalkEmount

Apr 17, 2013
    Thanks guys. I did a reset and its not as slow as before but I think that must just be a perceived speed increase because I want it to increase.

Now my screen is lifting, I guess I'll have to contact Sony warranty tonight when I get home.