1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony nex-7 flash lag

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Steveohim, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Steveohim

Steveohim TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 2, 2013
    Can someone tell me how to make the flash go off instantly? Every time I press it the flash takes a while to fire.i want it to go off the moment I press the shutter.

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    You don't have it in slow or rear sync mode?

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Unless using my manual / non-electronic Canon FDn lenses have anything to do with the camera's flash function, I've never found a menu option that allows me to have instant flash on my NEX-7...can't get rid of the 3-4 little flash pulses that occur prior to main flash.
    I assume they're to prep a subjects eyes to reduce red-eye but I do wish there was an option to shut them off and have the flash fire instantaneously.

4. Steveohim

Jan 2, 2013
    Yes that's exactly what I'm after

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've even downloaded the big 'handbook' and cannot find and means of shutting those pre-flash pulses off...if there's a way, sure hope somebody knows / will post about it.
    IMO...sony has it backwards..the flash default should be instant...with a menu option of turning on some sort of red-eye mode if that's desired

6. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Go to SETTINGS menu (bottom right MENU )
    find Red-Eye Reduction
    Set this OFF instead of ON

Does this help ?

In camera menu,also make sure your option is forced flash

If you use some of the iAUTO or creative styles shooting modes, maybe these options will not be available

• Like Like x 2
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Fantastic...that took care of it...thank you !

( silly me, I was looking in the "FLASH SECTION" )

8. Steveohim

Jan 2, 2013
    Great that's what I was looking for thanks

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So glad to see members get their questions answered. :D

10. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I find it mind boggling how many settings are not in the sub-menu one would think it appropriate to find them.

11. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    I agree, on many Alpha SLR's and SLT's, the menu for this is right below the flash mode menu.

I wish Sony would provide a piece of software that would let us customize the menu presentations for ALL of their SLR/SLT/Mirrorless so someone with multiple models could standardize the menus for all the cameras so it would be easier to find the menus that our logic would have placed there. I would definitely use that to make my NEX-7 customizable more like my A7r, my A77, my A900 or my A700.
    In the case of the NEX-7, there is WAY too many options that have little to do together in the SETTINGS menu. This red-eye reduction option belongs in the camera menu just below flash mode.

The new structure for the downloadable Guides is ridiculously organized and does not help a newcomer understand all the functions and how they work. The index is all but unattainable in a quick manner.
    Just my 2 cents opinion.

12. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Oh sony you old dog you haha