Sony NEX-6

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
I have been looking around the Internet for a second camera that would allow me to use my existing e-mount lens (Sony 18-135mm f3.5-5.6), Sigma 16mm f1.4, Sigma 30mm f1.4). I am not into the whistles and bells as well as the latest and greatest features (eye tracking, in-body stabilization, 4k video, gazillion focus points, etc, etc.) so this camera caught my attention.

I found this camera at KEH. They advertised it as Excellent-Plus condition which it is. Not a scratch, ding or dent. A most reasonable price. I am pleased.

Thanks for looking.

It has some nice features such as:

16.1MP APS-C format CMOS sensor
2.3 million dot resolution OLED EVF
ISO 100-25600
3 inch tilt screen
Control dial
Customizable Fn button
Multi interface hotshoe (supports standard contacts and proprietary connector)
Built-in Wi-Fi for connection to smartphones or computers, for photo sharing
Sweep Panorama, Auto HDR, and Focus Peaking
Built-in flash (GN 6, ISO 100)
1080/60p HD movies in AVCHD
"Fast Hybrid AF" system, which combines contrast detection with 99-point phase-detection autofocus
Uses the same battery as my a6000

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The NEX-6 was my intro to Sony cameras, and it served me well. Right up until the siren song of a full-frame camera overcame my resistance. These days I don't think I'd want to spend good money on a camera without IBIS, but if you got a great price on a pristine camera... :2thumbs:

Good luck with your new camera. It is really handy working with two bodies. Especially when the camera bodies are small and lightweight.

I will often have two different focal lengths which I can seamlessly switch between; and at other times (especially in a model shoot) I will have one camera fitted with a vintage lens like the Helios 44-4 to take advantage of the creative renditions of these vintage lenses while I will have the other camera mounted with a modern lens such as the Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS to ensure that I get some high quality images.

Shooting with the vintage lenses is pretty much just for fun. If I get good images, that is a plus. But, I always have the native Sony images to fall back upon...

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
I also had a NEX-6, than an A6000, now an A7ii, and a NEX-5N before all that. And some Sony bridge camera whose model I cannot recall before that. Obviously these are all gateway cameras to full-frame, lol.

It was a fine camera then, and it will be fine today if as you say you don't need the newer features. KEH is also decent to deal with, and their quality ratings are conservative in my experience. Congrats on your purchase.

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
I also had a NEX-6, than an A6000, now an A7ii, and a NEX-5N before all that. And some Sony bridge camera whose model I cannot recall before that. Obviously these are all gateway cameras to full-frame, lol.

It was a fine camera then, and it will be fine today if as you say you don't need the newer features. KEH is also decent to deal with, and their quality ratings are conservative in my experience. Congrats on your purchase.
Thanks. I also have a Sony a6000. As I said, I was looking for an e-mount lens camera that allows me to use my existing lens. I posted some NEX-6 pics. Meets my needs and looks pretty good even if I say so.:rolleyes:

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
The NEX6 was the option I chose at Christmas for getting an APSC mirrorless. I would have liked to add IBIS to it's feature set, but that pushed up the cost more than I could justify.
Focus peaking on the other hand was a must have. I've not gone for any native lenses, so have yet to experience it's AF capabilities. I think all 5 lens currently in my NEX bag together work out smaller than yours - if the 300mm comes out I'll be certain of it!

davect01

Super Moderator
The NEX-6/7 was the first "serious" entry for the E-Mount. I really enjoyed the NEX-6 and as long as you know the limitations of the AF you should be pleased

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
The NEX-6/7 was the first "serious" entry for the E-Mount. I really enjoyed the NEX-6 and as long as you know the limitations of the AF you should be pleased
Since I do not do any sports/action photos, I believe this will be a good second camera focus wise. I have a vintage Minolta MD Rokkor-X 28mm F2.8 that should be fun to play with. manual focus. I will put the Sony 18-135mm lens on the a6000 to have for animal/bird shots in the back yard/woods.

As a separate question. Information I have read on the Internet indicates the NEX-6 does not have Steady-Shot. However, the camera has a menu selection for turning Steady-Shot on and off. Your assistance in confirming Steady-Shot on this camera is appreciated.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I'm thinking of picking up another NEX-6 and use it as a cheap "teleconverter" for my 70-200mm f/4 FE? Though I might just be having a case of GAS!

addieleman

Passionate amateur
I'm thinking of picking up another NEX-6 and use it as a cheap "teleconverter" for my 70-200mm f/4 FE? Though I might just be having a case of GAS!
I must say I've never used my NEX-6 since I have FF cameras. Especially there's no point IMHO when you have an A7R2 or A7R3, which have 18 MP in crop mode as well as IBIS. And the NEX-6's user interface is a nightmare compared to even the original A7, from day one I always felt that the camera worked against me instead of cooperating, I only endured it because of its image quality which was so much better than that of my Panasonic GH2. I still have the NEX-6 but only because my daughter borrows it every now and then with the 18-55mm kit lens, she thinks it's a "super-nice camera", go figure!

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
I am enjoying the NEX-6. I like the ergonomics/button layout better than the a6000. There are some not-so-good reviews of the menu layout. However, if you take the time to study and understand the sequence it is easily understood. Plus, it takes fantastic pictures. I kinda, sorta wish I would have known about the NEX-6 before I purchased the a6000 (my bad). It meets my needs.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I am enjoying the NEX-6. I like the ergonomics/button layout better than the a6000. There are some not-so-good reviews of the menu layout. However, if you take the time to study and understand the sequence it is easily understood. Plus, it takes fantastic pictures. I kinda, sorta wish I would have known about the NEX-6 before I purchased the a6000 (my bad). It meets my needs.
I gave my NEX 7 to my son when I picked up an a6000 and I kinda feel he same way. I'm not entirelysure it was an upgrade. Yes the menu system in the a6000 is clearer but once you get things set up the NEX 7 was pretty much set and forget it.