1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Sony NEX 6 with Kit lens 16-50

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by hikmat, Oct 20, 2013.

1. hikmat

hikmat New to TalkEmount

Oct 20, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I am very new to photography and purchased a Sony Nex 6 a couple of days ago. I am not sure whether its my inexperience with photography or whether the kit I got has problems, in any case the images I took are not that impressive, especially when I wanted to crop them.

I saw image samples before purchasing it and they were way more impressive from what I have taken so far. Here are some samples Please advise !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1382283325.511168.
    16-50 lens
    With my maui Jim glasses blocked the top half of the photo and created a unedited JPEG
    By the way I am selling my 16-50 with a uv filter and Tiffen brand circular polar and Tiffen brand Neutral density 1.6 filter for $175 on eBay if anyone interested. The reason is that I have a 10-18mm nex lens now no need 16-50 for wide angle

• Like Like x 4
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    These are straight out of the camera Jpegs right? I mean no post processing, correct?

The first one is ok but IMHO they are all a little "flat" as far as colours go.
    The one of the sky with the clouds hidding the sun would be nice if it wasn't for the too big black area (city view?) on the lower part. It should either be totally black so doesn't draw too much attention or either clear so one can make out what it is

Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard ;)

4. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    Only the last photo is mine the previous 5 or 6 are not my photo. So the last one I used maui Jim blocked half of my 16-50 lens to create the HDR effect whiling using color pop on my camera setting. No post processing

5. hikmat

hikmat New to TalkEmount

Oct 20, 2013
    Yes, no post processing but I assume I will start learning more. One problem I seem to have with the photos is that when I try to crop, pictures start getting grainy and noisy. Idk but I expected that it should give clear image after cropping, at least a little room for cropping but am disappointed with the fact that a little zoom or crop gives you a grainy image. Any tips on improving that ?

Thanks

6. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    I think u might have used high ISO setting what's your ISO setting ? For nex 6 anything above 1600 will be noticeable when u crop. I don't really recommend the 16-50 lens because it's not very sharp either. Try to keep ISO less than 400 and use a tripod if you have to use small f-stop like 8 or 10. And another thing maybe you didn't set your photo resolution in the setting to the highest. Make sure it's 16megapixels.

7. hikmat

hikmat New to TalkEmount

Oct 20, 2013
    ISO on these were between 100 to 500 max so it wasnt high and yes I did select the 16mp picture quality that is why I was not happy with the result.

will consider your suggestion for keeping a tripod, however, my whole reason for getting NEX 6 was its size and I am not sure if I can carry around a tripod with me, but maybe for some special shots I will consider it.

thanks for your advice though .

Is there a particularly great lens you would suggest for it so I can have the sharpest images that wont get distorted with cropping?

8. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    At this moment e mount lens doesn't have really good sharp wide angel lens only the very expensive zeiss 12mm good for landscape or most 50mm and 60mm lens are very sharp but not good for landscape. I would suggest to get a metabones adapter regular adapter(the none speed booster) and use some of the canon or nikon lenses like sigma 10-20mm, tokina 12-24mm, tamron 10-24mm, canon 10-22mm price from $449-$599 for APS-C size sensor like the nex 6. Or u can get the metabones speed booster adapter for e mount lens which is very expensive like 429-599 because it not only make your max f-stop increase by 1 full stop (E.g. F2.8 will become f2.0 F1.8 will become f1.0) and I will make your aps-c sensor's factor multiply or widened by 0.71 which means your image will look almost like a full 35mm sensor image. And which means u have to use full frame lens mount. For wide angle full frame lens the cheapest is tokina 17-35mm which is about 549. Right now your 16-50mm on nex sensor is about 16x1.5=24mm wide only but if you use the metabones speed booster adapter your 17mm will be equal to 18.1mm on the 35mm sensor which is much wider than than the 24mm you can get from your 16-50mm lens and in the future when u do get sony A7 or A7r full frame nex your just buy a regular metabones adapter and use that same 17-35mm full frame lens from tokina. With the metabones speed booster adapter which is only for your nex cropped sensor in the future you can always get different lenses from nikon or canon ( much bigger varieties) to use it on your nex or future full frame cameras. I think the metabones speed booster is worth the long run because it makes any full frame lens that u might buy in the future to become 1 full stop faster lens so u can shoot with your nex 6 even if you have bad lighting. Remember only the tokina 17-35mm full frame lens can be used on the metabones speed booster adapter and the other wide zoom lenses that I mentioned above is only for APS-C sensor which u have to use the metabones regular adapter ( none speed booster type). Which ever is better for your pocket.

9. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    Metabones speed booster e mount adapter can't be used on sony A7 or A7r because they are already full frame sensor. What why I mention the speed booster can only be used on the nex cropped sensor.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You can minimize "noise" in post process - I'm using Lightroom and have been very happy with it (easy program to use) ;)

Also on your Nex there's a setting "High-ISO NR"

11. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    I am selling one sony 16-50mm 3.5-5.6 e mount lens for only $149 with uv filter and Tiffen brand ND 1.5 and Tiffen brand circular polar filter. Check it out.

http://bit.ly/17gL1sF

12. andyxy

andyxy TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    Now only $129