Sony NEX 6 - time lapse - Charging

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Dirk Kuyken, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Dirk Kuyken

Dirk Kuyken New to TalkEmount

Jan 28, 2013
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a NEX 6, but still have a few questions about it.
    Is it possible to charge the camera and use it at the same time ? (via the USB port, not an accessorie)

I'm planning on using it for a time lapse of 1 picture/sec during an 8 hour time-span.
    So I'm guessing the cam wouldn't last this time-span, so I was hoping it could charge and record at the same time.

regards,
    Dirk

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    So you really want to take a picture every second for a time period of 8 hours???
    I would guess that even the camera won't survive this experiment...?????

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    28,800 shutter releases @ one per second,
    you'd be better off using video

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Not to mention how large a memory card you would need to hold the slightly less than 29,000 pictures taken during that experiment.

***gio beat me to it...:p

5. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk

ha ha , never thought of that, so many obstacles,so little time

6. Dirk Kuyken

Jan 28, 2013
    Ok lol, what was I thinking.
    So video, but then the memory card will never be big enough and I've read that there will be overheating problems after 1,5 hour of video recording.
    I am going for a 128gb class 10 card...

Nevertheless, if it isn't possible, can you still charge the camera through the USB and record at the same time ?

7. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I thought that I read somewhere that you cannot use the camera while it's charging. I don't have my NEX yet, picking it up at the PO in a couple hours, but I am pretty sure I read that was one of the complaints with this camera and that it's annoying since it also does not include an external charger. That's why a lot of people buy the external charger and an extra battery or two because of the poor battery life and USB charging only. I'll be added to that list soon too. I am used to my Nikon D300 which was able to take many more shots per charge than the NEX-6 is rated at. It's kinda a disappointment but I guess an easy work around although not a cheap one unless you go third party.

8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Hi all, so far all NEX use the same battery, right? I'm considering getting another NEX, perhaps a 6. And am wondering if it can share battery with my current 5N.

9. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
  10. Dirk Kuyken

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah, I've read this too, but it's unclear like you say it, "You can't charge a SPARE battery and use it at the same time". I read it like this: "You can't charge a spare battery while using the camera unplugged, because you don't have a charger besides the camera". If you get yours, can you confirm it for me please ?

Anyone with a NEX 6 ?

11. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I will. I'll have it in a couple hours.

12. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
  13. Dirk Kuyken

Jan 28, 2013
    Gio are you familiar with the NEX 6 ? It is not delivered with an external charger, it's an accessorie to the NEX 6.
    So within the package of the NEX 6 there is an USB wall plug to connect to the camera, it's just not clear if you can record an charge at the same time...

14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have an NEX-6 and as far as I could find out, no, it isn't possible and that's a real shame: as soon as the camera is connected to the USB source, it charges when it's turned off and it goes into file transfer mode when turned on and you can't take pictures with it.

15. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    it is delivered with a usb to micro usb for charging from the computer (in the UK) I bought a wall charger for 5 GBP from amazon and it works great.
    there is no wall pug for charging ( at least in the UK ) but that link I posted should do the job

16. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I have just checked with usb wall plug, you cannot use the camera when this is plugged in, the camera still recognises a "usb connected" and will not operate,it only charges

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I tried to connect my NEX-6 to a USB charger and to a battery with USB output. In both cases the camera tries to make a connection to the USB device, which fails obviously, and the camera won't operate.

18. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yes, you can. I bought someone's left-over battery and charger from a NEX-5 and everything works as expected, the battery also displays its charge percentage on the NEX-6.

19. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    yes the same as the 5n, I bought third party batteries from amazon at 14 GBP each and they work just great, have not noticed any difference from the Sony ones,although I have not done any detailed tests because of the weather here, I've never shot enough shots to drain completely down, any of the batteries.

20. Dirk Kuyken

Jan 28, 2013