1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Nex 6 newby here!!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by hrstrat57, Mar 3, 2014.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Hi all.

Long time Minolta Sony A mount and before that Nikon F mount film user. Took the plunge into Nex 6 as I was seeking a platform for quality video of grandkid activity! Currently shooting a pair of A700's and an A100 primarily. I also play a bit on Dyxum.com from where I was referred to you folks!

Will be shooting with the kit 16-50 and many legacy Maxxum and M42 glass. I am sure I have lots of questions for you all going forward so go easy on the E mount newby! At first glance the 6 looks like a potent little piece of kit!

Some of my legacy glass that I will adapt is listed, comments on using any of them will be appreciated to get us started. Planning on off to KEH for an EA1 unless someone can explain to me why I would need to spend 3x the $ for EA2.

Maxxum: 28 2.8, 50 1.7, 100 2.8 macro, 200 2.8, 70-210 f4, 100-200, 24-105D, 28-85, 35-105 Sigma 400 5.6 M42: Asanuma 135 2.8, Pentax 50 2....also have a couple of Nikon F mount and Canon manual focus lenses remaining will need to inventory may seek cheap adaptors for those as well.

Excited about my new little toy I am!

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome and look forward to seeing some nice pictures.

Quite a collection of lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi! Welcome to the forum and the NEX. :)

AF speed is the main difference between the EA1 and EA2, the 2 is much faster. Which makes me wonder what a EA1 on a A6000 would do, since the A6000 focuses so much faster than any other NEX body.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    It's a lot more than AF speed. It's whether it can AF at all. The EA1 will only AF with some SAM lens. All other lenses are MF only. The EA2 will AF any alpha mount lens. For most intents and purposes, the EA1 is a MF adapter. The EA2 is an AF adapter. Specifically in OP's case since he has Minolta glass. All of that is MF on the EA1, AF on the EA2.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI

I think the last sentence explains why the EA2 is 3x the price on KEH! Thanks so much! I'll be playing with the kit lens a bit while I save some more dough!

More comments are welcome!

6. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    And with EA2 you may even get faster AF than with your A700. My experience on NEX-7 with LA-EA2 and A7R with LA-EA4 is these things make my AF similar to my A77 in speed.

7. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Welcome hrstrat57! I am a recent Nex 6 convert from Maxxum and Sony A Mount (sold my A500 to my nephew and bought the Nex in October). I almost immediately bought the EA2 adapter, and it is super fast on AF! I have also been able to auto focus with all the A Mount lenses I have tried!

I am experiencing some odd focus issues with my Nex, but I can certainly recommend the EA2! I would expect that you could pick one up at a good discount now if you do a bit of checking... With the lenses you list, it would be a great way to continue using them. Unless you want to start replacement ;-)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

8. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI

Saving for EA2 it is then!

9. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Exciting update from the NEX-6 newby!!

I grabbed the last EA2 from the Sony Outlet Wrentham MA, $162 open box. Immediately attached my holy grail (200 2.8) and wow what a piece of kit. If anything focus might be a smidge quicker/better than the A700!! Wow! Excellent balance and easy to handle is a surprise.

FYI no evidence of store closing was seen, price of NEX - 6 which I bought Monday at Best Buy for $599 (kit with SEL 16-50) was still marked at $799. I did not query the staff regarding the info on SAR indicating their store was closing.

NEX 6 and EA2 is going to keep me busy for a while, I have a lot of kit to experiment with!

Other than video I doubt the 16-50 SEL will get any use based on a few quick snaps with the 50 1.7 and the 200 2.8! Back outside now to victimize my dog with a few more pics with some more lenses! He is such an easy target LOL!!

Thank you so very much, I am off!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    So great to hear! You got a steal on that EA2!

Keep us up to date on how you like it and how well the pup copes with the torture! My dog gives me "the look" every time I have camera in hand...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk