Sony NEX 6 External Flashgun

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sevans0579, Mar 24, 2013.

1. sevans0579

sevans0579 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi

I have been using the NEX 6 for a while now but i want to get into some portrait shots using flashguns. Are there any third party ones out there that will work with the NEX 6 hotshoe. Will they also work with ETTL? I did read about the Metz brand but are they compatible?

In time i want to add a transmitter, i like the pocket wizard but its too expensive and a bit too much for what i need, again are there any other transmitters i can use for off camera lighting that work with the NEX 6?

Any help would be much appreciated

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    If you can live without ttl lots of flashes work with nex 6. Ttl flash is great mounted to camera when taking fast pictures. Less so when you have flash out of camera. There are lots of suitable flash transmitters for 6 too. No ttl, that is. Look ones working with 2.4 Ghz instead of 433 MHz.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I use Yongnuo wireless flash triggers, type RF-602 (for Nikon). They work flawlessly on my NEX-6, but no TTL and the extra function of getting the flash out of standby doesn't work with the NEX-6 (it did with my Nikon D300s). For studio flashes I use a second-hand set comprising two Falcon SS-150F units (one of the cheapest available). It's all fully manual, camera on M and 1/60 s, Minolta legacy macro lenses set to f/11 mostly and adjusting the flashes' output with the aid of a Minolta flash meter (Autometer IV F or Flash Meter VI). I use this setup for doing shots of my lens collection and other small stuff, I don't do people shots with it.

4. sevans0579

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks for the info, just checked out the transmitters, it doesn't mention they are compatible withe the Sony NEX 6, but you say go for the Nikon version?

Also, any particular brand speed light, the Yongnuo any good?

Kind regards

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yeah, there's no Sony NEX version, the Nikon version works fine for me. I don't have experience with Yongnuo flashes, maybe someone else can chime in?

6. sevans0579

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated, there doesn't seem to be much info on the internet regarding accessories (external flashes, etc). I was surprised there wasn't a mic input on the 6, great upgrade from the 5 though.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yongnuo gas got some quality control issues. You can fry their flashes by overuse. I have one Yongnuo 460II and one Godox TT520. I like the Godox better.