• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sony NEX 6 - are you going to get it?

raef02

New to TalkEmount
Sony NEX 6 was just announced and it looks really good.

- hybrid AF
- oled viewfinder
- new mode control dial (similar to dslrs)
- wifi / playmemories apps
- built-in flash
- new pancake zoom powered lens
- multiinterface shoe - is this also a hotshoe?
- touchscreen - not sure about this can't find any info on the website

Anyway, are you going to get it?

I have an F3 right now and I really like it. I guess my wishlist for the F3 on top of what it has right now are
- control dial like the 6
- wifi / playmemories apps
- viewfinder (i can get the oled viewfinder anyway)

Is it worth it to upgrade? And oh yeah, I like the 180 degree tilting screen too but I guess you can't have everything.

raef02

New to TalkEmount
Yeah the touch screen would be nice to have. It doesn't make sense to me why thy didn't put that in the 6. I could understand the 180 degree tilting screen won't happen because of the viewfinder in the way. I'm still on the fence though. I really like the 180 degree as I use it a lot on my F3 but I guess the new features outweigh this only feature that I like.

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
I might get a 5R, but not the 6. I've gotten too used to the articulated EVF on the 5N to want to go back to a fixed viewfinder.

raef02

New to TalkEmount
That's a good point Bimjo. The articulating EVF is really nice. I like the 5R too - it has the 180 degree tilt that I like however no built in flash unlike the F3, 6 or 7. You have the flash accessory but you can't use it at the same time if you have the EVF in there. I guess I'll wait for the next update on the F3 and maybe they will put the features that I like that I mentioned above :D

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, if you use flash a lot the 5 series probably isn't the body for you. If I looked hard enough I could probably find the small flash that came with the 5N, but I wouldn't want to have ot find it ina hurry. ;)

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
It will depend whether the screen is bottom hinged like the 7's (no top hinge for me, thanks) and how convincing is the AF. I'll get either the 6 or 7, but I'm upgrading from my 5N for sure :)

raef02

New to TalkEmount
I don't really use flash a lot but I like the convenience that it's there when you need it.

blb

TalkEmount Rookie
I'd love the evf of the 6, but am ready to jump on the 5n if/when the price drops a bit. It's seems Amazon has had it at $598 forever.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Looks nice. I don't NEED it but if I have extra cash paying around come the holidays I could see a bit of a splurge to get one. I think the most interesting things to me would be the EVF and mode dial/thumb wheel. I don't an EVF that often but on the rare occasions I need one it IS nice to have. I am also a real fan of thumb wheels. I'm curious what the AF performance is like. I don't use AF much on my NEX but it would be nice if it were improved (and made my Sigma 30 a bit snappier). I think the WiFi and app features to be really interesting. They both open up some possibilities.

demiro

TalkEmount Regular
Yeah the touch screen would be nice to have. It doesn't make sense to me why thy didn't put that in the 6. I could understand the 180 degree tilting screen won't happen because of the viewfinder in the way. I'm still on the fence though. I really like the 180 degree as I use it a lot on my F3 but I guess the new features outweigh this only feature that I like.

I wonder if the wifi option will make it feasible to use your smart phone as a controller, and get live view remotely. That would maybe mitigate losing the 180 degree flip.

korn_2956

TalkEmount Regular
I wonder if the wifi option will make it feasible to use your smart phone as a controller, and get live view remotely. That would maybe mitigate losing the 180 degree flip.

They said that's gonna be one of the apps

korn_2956

TalkEmount Regular
I'd love the evf of the 6, but am ready to jump on the 5n if/when the price drops a bit. It's seems Amazon has had it at $598 forever.

Bet there will be a ton of used ones for sale soon. I know I'm gonna be posting mine for sale on here soon.

raef02

New to TalkEmount
Demiro - you got a point there. As korn_2956 mentioned, I also heard it's going to be one of the apps. That is really an interesting feature.

lenshoarder

TalkEmount Veteran
Demiro - you got a point there. As korn_2956 mentioned, I also heard it's going to be one of the apps. That is really an interesting feature.

Let's hope it works better than Samsung's implementation. Although I give Samsung props for getting there first.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I can't seem to find a picture good enough that I can determine whether the screen is top or bottom hinged. It's a clincher for me, the top hinged screen of the 5N is virtually useless, while the bottom hinged of the 7 (à la OM-D) is very good for shooting from the waist.
That will help me decide between 6 and 7. Any opinions on which one it is ??

Latest threads

Top Bottom