1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Nex 5R VS 6 VS FUJI XE-1

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ilovenex, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Recently i got my wife the 5R and she loves it and yesterday for the first time i took my d90 out and i was exchaused carrying it lol and hurting my neck. so i want to get a smaller body these are the 3 cameras im looking at:
    X-E1
    Sony 5R that is on sale now for $479 body only and $579 WITH KIT
    NEX 6

Does anyone here have used the x-e1? what is your opinion?

2. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I have used a 5N and a 7, but none of the above. FWIW,

The 5R would be good if you want a touch screen and the smallest form factor.
    NEX 6 would be a better choice if having a viewfinder is more important than the touch screen.
    Both NEX cameras have focus peaking and PDAF.

X-E1 gives you many external controls and has a viewfinder but lacks a touchscreen (again, if that's important to you). AF won't be as fast as 5R or 6 and I heard the EVF can be laggy. The IQ seems great. The timing of X-E1 seems a little odd to me. X-E1 hadn't been out for very long when X100s was announced with PDAF, focus peaking. X-E1 would be a much better camera with those features.. but its successor will probably have all of those.

I think it's about $1299.99 + tax for a X-E1 and a lens. Not a bad deal.

However, if your wife has a 5R, having the same system can save you some money down the road.

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    the xe1 is a lovely camera. only thing lacking is AF speed. the NEX system AF isnt great, but at least has peaking, to make the system more diverse. i had the xe1 for a few days and found it really hard to send back but the NEX won out. I consideted a 5R but just picked up another 7 instead.

4. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    Since your wife has a 5r, go with 6.
    Can share lenses, EVF when needed, and have different camera. I don't see a reason for having two identical camera.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

5. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Make sense didnt taught of that lol. does nex 6 takes better pics than xe1?

6. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    They're pretty much on par with each other. Either can provide you with stunning results if utilized correctly.

7. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I think it largely depends whether you want to shoot RAW or JPEG. RAW support for the Fuji X Trans sensor is not that good at the moment. The Fuji X's are better for high ISO, and the lenses are very good.

As kaptnkain rightly says, they are pretty much on a par and both produce stunning results. I marginally prefer the NEX 6, mostly because of the better RAW support, but also because the NEX files are a little bit "grittier" and give more of an old fashioned film effect, very good for black and white conversion.

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I have even thinking that too, I want to sell the nex5R and buy the Ex1 , but I read a lot before jumping in, (Claire could help here, she used it for a few weeks) but apparently 5R is better for many reasons, the main is the use of peaking for legacy glass, price, raw format, if you plan to do PP, or just jpg is ok, but on Raw XE1 is having problems, the good thing is that noise reduction works well, the style retro and the AF is the same, nex is a bit better I guess.

but if you could get the XE1 give us a deep review. Greetings Fred

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Build-in viewfinder on the Nex-6...

10. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    What about Olympus OM-D E-M5? Has anyone tested it?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

11. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    E-M5 is a nice camera as well. Fastest AF out of the bunch. Also has the most mature lens selection.

Why don't you list some features you're looking for and the budget? There are good camera stores in Vancouver. I'd suggest you go and handle some of them.

12. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    What I really want is :
    Better Image quality at night times
    Small body can't carry my d90 anymore
    More lens options
    Viewfinder be nice
    Price $600-1200
    Don't really know what else to say as I don't have much knowledge about the features.

I see that your from Vancouver also. What's a good store to go to?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

13. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The XE-1, NEX-6 and OMD all match most of your requirements. But the NEX has less lens choice while the OMD has poorer lowlight ISO. The XE-1 has fewer lenses but what they have is very good, although it is by far the most costly as a system. Arguably the lack of lens choice will be fixed as both systems mature (depending on what you need, the only major missing E-mount lens I'd say is a fast quality zoom which is due this year, everything else is well covered)

14. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    For me, NEX 6. Viewfinder is essential in sunny days...

15. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Do some research and see which system has the lenses you want. All of these cameras have pretty good low light capabilities. You can also check camera sizes Compare camera dimensions side by side. If you click on "Camera with lenses" on the top left link, you can check their sizes with lenses attached.

Stores:
    Broadway Camera
    Lens & Shutter
    Kerrisdale Camera
    Leo's Camera

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1

17. doinksdoinks