Sony Nex 5N Dead on Arrival

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Archer, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I ordered a Sony NEX 5N from a website.

it arrived a week ago with a totally dead battery and no external battery charger.
    For some reason they seemed to think this camera was charged through the USB port so they sent me a USB charger instead of the external mains charger.

I'm still waiting for the company to send me a new external battery Charger but how worried should I be about the totally dead battery as well (Battery is a Sony Original Battery)?

Is it common for an NEX Battery to be so low the camera won't even turn on?

I've not been able to turn this camera on even once.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Drained a battery a time or two myself.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know about the 5N, but my NEX-6 doesn't come with an external charger, and the battery does indeed get charged via a USB cable. I sprang for an aftermarket (Wasabi) external charger because I wanted to charge extra batteries externally. Did your camera not come with the USB charger, that connects via USB cable to the camera?

Getting a new camera with an uncharged battery is pretty standard too. Most user manuals begin with" "First, charge the battery fully."

4. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I got so fed up of waiting that I ordered a 3rd party charger and battery - hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow and maybe I can finally get to using my camera.

What things should I check for that might be wrong with it? The camera isn't new but reconditioned.
    I can already tell without turning it on that it will probably suffer from that dreaded clicking noise in video recording.

Has anyone with an NEX 5n experienced this clicking noise (caused by the shutter components moving) and did you get Sony to fix the problem (or at least reduce the problem?)
    I've read on some website's Sony in the USA / Hong Kong have allowed people to have the problem reduced by applying some kind of grease to the shutter.

Video will play a big part of what I want to use the camera for but ultimately I plan to buy an external audio recorder anyway and just sync the audio in post production.
    And most of my intended video use will be on a tripod so I'm not planning to move the camera about much during videos.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Normally, reconditioned electronic equipment carries the same warranty that new equipment does, so check whatever you'd check with a new piece of gear.

Re: the click- mine does it. I never sent it in because I don't shoot video with it. On the rare occasion that I do I use my phone. Sony did, for a time, fix the issue with a heavier grease on the moving part with varying degrees of success, depending on who was doing the reporting.

On a tripod it shouldn't be an issue. If I move mine carefully it doesn't click. If you plan to use external sound it shouldn't be an issue for you.

And welcome to the forum. :)

6. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    Well my 3rd party charger and battery arrived today, pleased to say the camera turned on with the new battery installed.

I put the original battery on charge .. it's come up green on the charge indicator after maybe 2 or 3 hours on charge - should I remove it or leave it on charge overnight?

I've read many things that suggest leaving a brand new battery on charge for 14+ hours for their very first charge.

My camera does have the click in video mode but it's not too bad, if I pan the camera smoothly from left to right it doesn't click and these are the kind of movements I mainly hope to do.

I did notice the camera only has version 1.0 of the firmware - is there any disadvantage to upgrading the firmware?
    for instance might it stop it recognising my 3rd party battery or drain the battery faster? The brand is MaximalPower

I have a PC and an Apple computer is one better / safer to use then the other for Firmware updates?

I was looking at version 1.02

Sony : NEX-5N updates | Download updates for NEX 5N | NEX5N

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Should be no issues upgrading firmware, went fine on my Mac. AF was reputedly improved marginally with the new firmware, but I didn't notice much difference.

8. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Jim... and do you have some AF lens? :rofl: :flypig: :drinks:

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I have two in fact. I just hardly ever use them. :p

10. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I did the firmware upgrade from v1.00 to 1.02 - went fine - can't really say I noticed any difference but I'd not had the camera long enough to know

I filmed some video today and notice two specs on the video - is this likely to be something on the sensor?
    I've only switched lenses twice and tried to be very careful and hold the camera upside down at the time and did it indoors
    Main one is in the bottom right corner

Sony NEX 5N Camera Video Test London Trafalgar Square - YouTube

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Looks like a sensor dust bunny to me. Unfortunately one of the side "benefits" of a short registration distance and a very large diameter lens mount is an increased possibility of sensor dust.

On the plus side, those two features make cleaning the sensor easier. Two-edged sword as it were.

12. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    Do those Bunnies appear more on video then on photos?

What I mean is could they have been on my photos as well but I'd not have noticed them as much because there's a lot more pixels in a photo then a video?

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    They probably seem more visible on video because as the camera moves through the scene the spots follow along. When viewing a photo, it stays still and your eye moves over the surface so the spots are not constantly in your view.

14. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I see...

So my next question is that I see the Sony NEX system can use so many different lenses from other manufacturers with a converter.

I have two lenses both about 20 years old, and both made by Sigma for the Canon EOS 1000F

One is 28mm to 80mm and the other 75mm to 300mm

What I used to love doing 20 years ago with my 35mm SLR Camera is fitting the 75mm to 300mm lens and taking candid photos of friends and family.
    I'd always find those kind of photos produced the nicest results then the photos where everyone is posing and putting on a fake smile.

I've seen some cheap converter for less then £10 on eBay and Amazon - will they allow me to take nice photos with my 75mm to 300mm lens.
    I've read I'll need to focus manually but I think I could live with that - what I most want is a nice shallow depth of field.

I've read stuff online that say Aperture setting could be a problem because EOS lenses have no manual control over Aperture.

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There are adapters that allow some aperture control for lenses with no aperture ring. It isn't full control, usually 4 or 5 settings with no indication of actual aperture. I think the Fotodiox Pro may have as many as 7 settings, but I'd have to check.

But depending on what/how you shoot that may work just fine. Not being at all familiar with Canon lenses, do these have aperture rings? If so then any cheap adapter will work as they are merely spacers to get the lens to the proper registration distance to work correctly on the NEX bodies.