1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony NEX-3N is here ...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, Sony just introduced this thing ... I personally think it looks worse than any other NEX camera. The flash is only GN4, there's still no ISO 100, the movie codec is bad, only 4 fps in full resolution and so on. Not a impressive camera imho. At least the price is good. But seriously, before I'd get this thing, I'd rather save for the A58 or NEX-5R.

What do you think?

Sony - Easy to handle, easy to use: the new NEX-3N by Sony puts pro-quality images in everyone

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I could easily see myself buying the body + SILVER (woot) PZ1650 then sell the body and keep the lens for 'retiring' my 5N to my wife :)

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    You're not the target market for the 3N. Look at the first line of the press release...

That camera is meant for folks that will buy it with the power zoom and shoot in full auto all the time. It's small, light has a built-in flash and looks more conventional than previous models. I assume it's cheap and will come in white as well

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, I get that I'm not the target market. BUT - it looks to be technically worse than my NEX-5, which is almost three years old. I just don't understand why they didn't improve ANYTHING since the first generation. Well, I guess they aimed at the 499 price tag with the new kit lens, so there simply wasn't the budget to innovate.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The NEX 3/5 had a 14mp sensor so the 3n has a new sensor, you can operate the power zoom from the body and such.At $499 with the kit lens it's about what I would expect. I agree if you have a 5n or similar the 3n isn't all that interesting. I wouldn't buy one.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that 500 monies is absolutely too much for that camera. The flash is extremely underpowered and something like Panasonic Lumix lx7 is much better choice for present P&S users. Only use that I might find to it is as a digital back for legacy lenses for a person that don't need flash. Body only for 150 euros.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sensor of the 3n is much bigger and better, and it is quite similar to use compared to a P&S. So yeah, I guess it makes sense in this market.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that for most P&S shooters good quality P&S is much better choice. Interchangeable lenses make sense if you have them. That Lumix has got quite fast lens and decent high iso performance so it isn't so bad. For upgrade from P&S I think that Sony 5's are better choice for money than 3N. Or the price should be about 400 monies or lower.

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Another ill placed product in a murky line-up. Yawn.

10. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Well personally I have zero interest in a 3N and wouldn't even recommend it to someone... I'd tell them to go straight to the 5R for a start. But from Sony's point of view, the low-end mass market has very thin margins and has to constantly be refreshed because the prices of these things drop so fast. I can easily see them doing half-yearly refreshes even. The 3N losing a hotshoe of any kind is really turning it into a pure ILP&SC - interchangeable lens point-and-shoot camera. It saves Sony money on R&D for an APSC fixed lens camera. I don't see how an RX10 can now come out with APSC sensor as this is squarely where the 3 series is destined to sit, and cheaper than the RX100(!) already.

11. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    If the body only price is low enough I'll get one for my wife. She is always complaining that I have all the toys and she is left with my cast offs. I have enough e mount lenses to share.

12. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    The a58 doesn't look too great either. Can't decide if it's supposed to replace the a37 or a57, or both, as it's pegged as the entry level model. Improvements in the EVF, downgrade in the screen. Hmm.

13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    At least it's rather handsome, no ?

14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The 3N is obviously not meant for anyone who already has a NEX of any kind.

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    That's exactly what I meant when I said camera makers are like cell phone operators. They're out there to get new customers, not pamper the ones they already have.

16. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Looks almost identical to the a57 to me, aside from the screen. Presumably the emphasis is on DSLT shooters using the EVF for composition. And I'm sure there will be changes inside the cam....I didnt read that far. The a57 is fantastic and I won't be upgrading it any time soon. :)

17. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Yes, looks like a sideways step/minor upgrade to the A57 and externally looks similar except they moved the exposure comp button from behind the shutter and replaced it with the useless 'zoom' button. As an A37 owner the only things I like about the A57 that the A37 doesn't have are the much better screen, a horizon level and the 2 buttons for ISO and exp comp behind the shutter. The 16mp sensor is fine for me, so no appeal in the A58 but if the A57 gets cheap enough I might be interested in 'upgrading' to that and having 2 bodies or selling the A37.

Someone with an A65 and an A57 told me that although the OLED evf is better/nicer, in everyday practical use swapping between cameras you hardly notice the difference between them.

Nex 3N is clearly designed to compete against Panasonic GF5, Olympus EPM2 etc - they are pushing it as "the world’s smallest, lightest interchangeable-lens camera with a large APS-C sized sensor" (Among interchangeable-lens cameras with an APS-C sensor and pop-up flash, as of Feb 2013). Funny how they always have to find some marketing angle where it's the smallest/fastest/lightest or whatever in a narrowly defined category at a certain point in time. :)

I don't think most people compact camera upgraders who are after something small and portable with better than compact IQ are bothered about a hotshoe as that kind of defeats the purpose of the small camera.

18. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree wholeheartedly applemint. It's a shame Sony don't try and compete with Olympus/Panny on the 'fastest AF in the world' spiel, which Im about to test....if the sodding camera ever turns up! In practice, I don't recall the AF of the EPM1 being miles ahead of the 5n in anything but low light. Oh, and in terms of EVF, I use the EVF on the A57, it's perfectly good, but for some reason couldn't use the EVF on the NEX 7 at all. Weird.

19. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    No, the E-PM1 is way behind the GX-1 in AF performance, don't worry you'll be happy with the Panny ;)

20. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I think the evf on the Nex 7 is the same OLED one as the A65, the A58 is also OLED but lower resolution, the A57 is not OLED but the same resolution as the A58 (1.44million dots). What was the issue with your Nex 7 evf, was it just poor peaking or something else as well?

Looks like the A58 is indeed intended to replace the A37 AND A57 (see link below), which explains why the features and price (£450 RRP with kit lens) fall somewhere between the 2. Looks more like an upgrade to the A37 though and an odd mix of upgrade and downgrade to the A57. :)

I am a bit sad to see the end of the small Sony dslr/slt body (A33, A35, A55, A37) as I quite liked the smaller size and lower weight.

Sony Alpha A58 Hands-On First-Look Preview