1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony Nex-3N a Downgrade from the F3... FOR ME

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jimithing616, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jimithing616

jimithing616 New to TalkEmount

Apr 22, 2013
    Hey, so I am new here to this site but I have been using mirrorless for awhile now (formerly a E-Pm1) To give you a little background, I am 24, have been into photography for 3 years or so... started out with a D90, got bored, sold it, took a break from shooting, then about 1 1/2 years ago got into Film photography HEAVY... amassed over 30 SLR's and 150 Lenses. Some very high end. ANYWAY!

I bought an E-PM1... it was ok... no hand grip made it very hard to use adapted lenses, and the screen res was just terrible... also I shoot Wide angle a LOT so having my expensive 24mm lens become basically a 50mm (48mm) was like paying for lobster and getting mcdonalds... not fun.

SO i bought an NEX-3n when it came out... it solved the sensor size problem, made my 24mm into a 36mm... not so bad...BUT it had all the other problems as the E-PM1, crap screen, tiny body, no grip, point and shoot "feel"... and to boot it didn't have an ACC port for a VF... COME ON!! even the E-PM1 had that!! So I tried, I really tried to like it, then I got to use my friends NEX-F3 for a few days while he used my 3N... after those 3 days, he wanted his camera back... and I wanted to keep it....

THE 3N really isn't a 3 series at all IMHO they should have called it a NEX-2 ... it lost all of the F3's best features, yes, there are things that are better, build quality feels slightly better, but the F3 was fine... I never felt it was lacking honestly. And yea, a power zoom lens, I wasn't looking for that feature... and honestly, not very useful...

The 3n has 1/2 the screen resolution, no ACC port for a VF, Slightly less FPS, Crippled Video, etc...

So, I was at Target the other day, I saw the NEX-F3 for 399... I paid 499 for the 3N. So returned the 3N, got the F3, saved 100 bucks and got a better camera.... now with that 100 bucks I can almost buy a used EVF and basically have a NEX-6 (I know I know not exactly) for my purposes, which is using my old Minolta, Canon FD, Konica, etc lenses on a mirror less body with an EVF and Focus peaking..

SO anyway, let me know what you guys think. Have you tried them both? If so what was your feelings on the 2 camera's? Which one would you keep and why?

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Never had or held a 3N but yeah, the 3N looks like its targeted to a completely different type of users/people
    I guess its cheap (price-wise) for a reason...

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    ya

Ya, clearly an attempt at going for the lower range of the crowd.

The original 3 and 5 were targeted exactly for those looking for a camera with more capability, yet unwilling to spend $1000.00. The 3N is an attempt to return to those roots.

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I haven't tried the 3:s. But after looking at a lot of samples, I realised that the NEX-7 has the sensor that makes the most out of legacy lenses. It can match the sharpest Rokkors. So even if I wasn't looking at buying another camera for that kind of money, I reckoned that I would be happy with it for a long time and thereby saving money in the long run.

I'm not super impressed with the handling, though. It's uncomfortable to hold and its far to easy to operate the switches and buttons by mistake.

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I bought a used NexF3 with kit lens out of sheer curiosity and to have a travel camera that's better than a P&S.

Now just two weeks later, my T3i and a very carefully picked setup of Canon lenses are on Craigslist and I am lens shopping for Nex. And I was happily using various Canon DSLRs for 6 years and didn't plan to change that... This should tell you what I think of F3.

I think for ME the only real upgrade would be Nex 6 for viewfinder, or Nex 7 - although at some point more megapixels is not always a good thing. 3N specs did look like a downgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

6. jimithing616

jimithing616 New to TalkEmount

Apr 22, 2013
    Well, I am glad you all agree! haha
    Amamba, I totally agree, I would love the NEX-6 or 7... I think If I had to choose I would probably go for the 6, I'm guessing there will be a 6n or 7n someday soon so maybe we will see a good price drop. I would definitely consider it more at that point, but for now at least, the Nex-F3 does it for me. I will likely shop around for a good deal on the VF first though to see if I really like using it over the LCD or not. Also, I am on the same page about DSLR's, I have used t3i's and 7D's and 5D II's for video work with my friends who do a lot of cinema work and I personally like the feel of the NEX better... then when you consider the amazing konica, Canon FD, and Minolta glass that I have and its a no brainer!

Jaf-Photo, I have a lot of Rokkor glass along with UC konica glass which is by all means as good or better, I have heard that some of these high end lenses will out-resolve most sensors. Out of your MD/MC glass which is your favorite? I have all the same ones as you plus a few others like the MC-Rokkor 24mm 2.8, which is one of my faves.

7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Jimithing,

Apparently you are not supposed to store the camera with external EVF attached. This and the exuberant price kill it for me. Anyway, a year or two from now the 6 will be affordable.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm glad I didn't know that, I've only taken my EVF off my 5N 2 or 3 times in 18 months to use the flash. :D

9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well apparently Sony claims you may damage the contacts that way.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I was tugging your chain a little bit. ;) But honestly, I had never heard that and it's good to know info.

Not that I'm going to change course at this late date. I mean, me being a rebel and all. :p

11. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    My Rokkor 135/2.8 [4/4] outresolves my Samsung NX11 (14M) but not my NEX-7. Even on the Samsung, I can fix moire with noise reduction and still get detailed photos.

I love all my Rokkors. My new favourite is actually W.Rokkor 35mm/2.8 because it has minolta colours and contrast, reasonably wide viewing angle, good sharpness and smooth bokeh. My least favourite is MD 28/2.8 as it has very little character. It's a good, useful lens though.