Sony LA-EA1 with Minolta MD Rokkor X 50 1.4

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AndyWear, Mar 14, 2014.

1. AndyWear

AndyWear TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi,
    I just bought the LA EA1 lens adapter for my A7.

I have the Minolta MD Rokkor x 50 1.4 manual focus lens I'm trying to attach, but it doesn't seem to fit. Does anyone know if its suppose to work or not? Thanks

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    AndyWear, the LAEA1 adapter works with Minolta and Sony A-mount lenses. The Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50 is a manual focus for the SR/MC/MD mount. The two types are not compatible unfortunately. Luckily you can easily find many inexpensive (and some not so inexpensive) MD to NEX mount adapters. Just search Amazon for "MD to NEX" and you'll find several from brands like Fotodiox, Fotasy (I've got one of those), Novoflex, and others.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    By the way, from what I hear, the MD Rokkor-X 50 f1.4 is quite a nice lens. I'm sure Ad or one of the other Minolta aficionados could tell you more.

4. AndyWear

Jan 1, 2014
    Thank you thank you Hawkman. I thought all Minoltas were A mount so I didn't give it a thought. I will have to exchange the lens now! :)

5. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    You're most welcome. And don't necessarily give up on the MD Rokkor-X just yet. A simple $20 - $50 adapter will have it manually focusing in some nice shots on your A7 in no time. Of course, if you were looking for an autofocus, electronic aperture-controlled lens, then yes, A-mount with the LAEA1 might be better for you, although many older Minolta A-mounts (ones that aren't SAM or SSM lenses, I believe) cannot be autofocused on the LAEA1. For that full function, you'd need the more expensive LAEA2 or LAEA4.

Actually, if you have an A7, you should return the LAEA1, as it is intended for an APS-C sensor camera like the NEX-6, NEX-7 or the new A5000 and A6000. The A7 being a full frame sensor camera needs the LAEA3 or LAEA4 in order to fill the full frame area. The LAEA1 (and LAEA2) will only enable a cropped image on the A7 or A7R.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AndyWear

Jan 1, 2014
    ahhh thank you for telling me that. I had intended to get the LEA4 adapter but it was sold out today. The sony store here was offering a 60-80 percent off on everything at the store because it was closing down. The only one left was the LAEA1 adapter so I picked it up, thinking that would be alright. Didn't think it would be apsc. :(

I also already have an adapter for the minolta MD, I just thought if I got the LAEA1 adapter, I might be able to use the focus assist zoom. Now I gotta find a way to sell this adapter back since I don't think the Sony store will let me get an exchange since they're closing down. Oh well. :(

Are they Minolta Maxxums the ones I'm suppose to look for when buying a mount AF minoltas?

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    You need EA4 to fully function with A mount Maxxum lenses. The EA3 would be manual focus only, IMHO not the way to go with Maxxum glass.

Check KEH, they would gladly take your EA1 in trade on an EA4 if they had one or on some Maxxum glass they always have a great inventory. Best part is if you are unhappy they will always exchange for another pc of gear....

My EA2 works brilliantly on NEX with my adapted M42 lenses by the way. This should add further value to the EA4 as well I would think. I love the old M42 stuff and the 3 lenses I currently have are fabulous.....

Remember you would also need a M42 to A mount adapter attached to the lens before affixing to the EA4.